Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Type" F" ATF still the recommended supercharger fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Type" F" ATF still the recommended supercharger fluid?

Getting ready to do a drain and refill on my SC (John Erb built) and did a bunch of searching to see what's the recommended fluid but most posts on this subject are a couple of years old. Is type "F" still the recommended stuff? It's gettin' harder to find.....

To: 63 R2 Hawk,-------- I use Dexron (the latest variant) in both My Supercharged Studebakers, and have had no issues. I believe it's important to change the fluid every driving season (pain in the neck or not!)

Comment

Yes type "F" is still the recommended Fluid to use, I believe Jon Myer is still using Valvoline.

The same with the Power Steering and Automatic Trans.

Why not ask Jon & Mike Myer or John Erb about it?

Your NAPA, CarQuest or other quality Parts Store can still order it. No O'Rielly's, WalMart or K-Mart. <GG>
      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-05-2012, 11:46 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

B&M Trick shift works very good.....the non-synthetic type.
        I have never had oiling problems with it.
        I believe Erb recommended this at one time or another....I just remember reading about it somewhere.
        Nimish uses it exclusively too.
        Last edited by bezhawk; 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I've heard that non-synthetic transmission fluid is the way to go. Supposedly synthetic is too slick for the planetary balls and they can scuff increasing wear and reducing life. I cannot say if this is true but what I've heard, though it does sound counter-intuitive. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can say for sure.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            I've heard that non-synthetic transmission fluid is the way to go. Supposedly synthetic is too slick for the planetary balls and they can scuff increasing wear and reducing life. I cannot say if this is true but what I've heard, though it does sound counter-intuitive. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can say for sure.
            Bruce, I was holding off posting to this, but your lead-in opened the door.

I don't profess to have more knowledge than anyone else on this, but Craig Conley of Paradise Wheels, now the de facto ball-drive Paxton clearing house, I believe does qualify to speak to your question.

Craig still recommends Ford Motorcraft brand old-style Type F. Nobody else's Type F Ford-spec fluid, just Motorcraft. Ford part number XT1QF.

This was discussed in the August 2011 and January 2012 Co-Operators in Turning Wheels. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              To: 63 R2 Hawk,-------- I use Dexron (the latest variant) in both My Supercharged Studebakers, and have had no issues. I believe it's important to change the fluid every driving season (pain in the neck or not!)
              NOT A PAIN IN THE NECK AT ALL! Go buy a big syringe at the local drug store, attach a rubber hose to the end of the syringe and then add a 6" piece of brake line. Suck it out and refill. Entire job takes 15 minutes or less to change the Supercharger fluid. (lesson personally learned from the SDC forum. Thanks! - I used to take the supercharger off and dump it)

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                NOT A PAIN IN THE NECK AT ALL! Go buy a big syringe at the local drug store, attach a rubber hose to the end of the syringe and then add a 6" piece of brake line. Suck it out and refill. Entire job takes 15 minutes or less to change the Supercharger fluid. (lesson personally learned from the SDC forum. Thanks! - I used to take the supercharger off and dump it)

Allen
                I have done it in a similar manner, except using the engine vacuum to suck the old AT fluid out. Please remember to remove the S/C belt first! Do this outside as it provides a top lube. Also, I would not do this if you use synthetic AT fluid in your S/C.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X