Hawk vs.Thunderbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk vs.Thunderbird

Well now I have one of each, I must admit the Hawk is a little more classy, more chrome outside way more inside, the interior of a '63 Stude is hard to out do. Now the Thunderbird is a '65 power everything, much heavier car, smooth quite ride, strong 390 4 bbl.
    If i would be buying new side by side, I'd pick the Hawk alot of car for the dollar
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

In 1963, my sister shopped for a new car. She considered an Avanti, but ended up buying a new Thunderbird for less money (when equipped similar).
    In 1964, I bought a new Fury hardtop with the hipo 383, Torqueflite, SureGrip, etc. I was a Studebaker person, but couldn't get a Studebaker (Daytona, Hawk or Avanti) that was similar for the same money.
    We each only kept the new cars for one year, so future collector value had no bearing on the purchase, but rate of depreciation did.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Corvette VS Avanti

This story reminds me of Dave Bloomberg's story. He had ordered a new 63 Corvette. While he was waiting for it he saw an Avanti at the movies in LA. He didn't know anything about Studebakers but loved the look of the car. So he went and cancelled the Vette and bought his Avanti. He has owned it now for 50 years and of course he has gotten a lot out of that purchase. World speed records and a whole lot of fun and of course some heartache. I know he says the car is for sale but I wonder if he will really sell it.

I remember driving those birds when they were new and I even a couple of years ago when I repaired the powersteering on my friends '63 Bird. I even reduced the bill if Tom would let Kathy and I take it out on a date. We had a great date and it was cool to watch people staring and pointing. That car went down the freeway as cool as silk. Like floating on a cloud. Thanks for the memories.
      Dan

Comment

Black lady says to me one day of my 63GT. Thats the most beautiful Thunderbird I've ever seen' Her husband nods and assuringly says yep"Grand Torino". I let it go as I ain't no bubble buster cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Money aside, in 1963 the T-Bird was at the end of it's three year body life, the Avanti was brand new. If you were looking for the "Wow!" factor, the Avanti would have been the way to go.
          The Hawk is a great looking car and properly equipped had performance, but it was still a re-work of an old design. But it was a great buy.

If I'd had been old enough and rich enough to buy a car in 1963 (aside from a model), I'd have gone with the Avanti.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
            This story reminds me of Dave Bloomberg's story. He had ordered a new 63 Corvette. While he was waiting for it he saw an Avanti at the movies in LA. He didn't know anything about Studebakers but loved the look of the car. So he went and cancelled the Vette and bought his Avanti. He has owned it now for 50 years and of course he has gotten a lot out of that purchase. World speed records and a whole lot of fun and of course some heartache. I know he says the car is for sale but I wonder if he will really sell it.

I remember driving those birds when they were new and I even a couple of years ago when I repaired the powersteering on my friends '63 Bird. I even reduced the bill if Tom would let Kathy and I take it out on a date. We had a great date and it was cool to watch people staring and pointing. That car went down the freeway as cool as silk. Like floating on a cloud. Thanks for the memories.
            Dan
            A good friend had the opposite experience. He ordered a new Avanti. After waiting for a long time, he gave up and purchased a new 1963 Corvette coupe.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X