It's that memorable day again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that memorable day again.

46 years ago today, on March 4th 1966, Bill Dredge in South Bend and I in Hamilton, announced to the media the closing of Studebaker automobile manufacturing at 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Many a tear was shed that day and many have been shed since. So think an extra reverent thought about our favorite car all day.
    Stu Chapman

Well, considering that you were all shafted by the board in a pretence of staying in the Automobile business, you should be proud of your efforts, I know I'd love a 1966 model but will settle for my 1962.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Vale Studebaker. Many thanks to Gordon Grundy, Stu Chapman and their team for what they accomplished. Well done!!!!
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Would LOVE to have the chronological order of "things" that day.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post

John
          What would you like to know?
          Stu Chapman

Comment

Maybe not a time to mourn but a time to celebrate all that WAS accomplished by Studebaker of Canada. Having just purchased a 1966 Daytona I look forward to many years of 'telling its story'. Congratulations Mr. Chapman for doing what you did to add to Studebakers History. You built a Damn Good Car!

Comment

Stu,
              How long in advance did you know about the announcement, not that the end was coming, but the exact time you were to release the news?
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

As the owner of a pair of 66's I took want to add my thanks for the efforts & rewards to that end. We should be greatful that things didn't come to a final end in dec. 63 but were given at least somewhat a reprive to the march 66 date. The 66's are a fine car & I for one am surprized that they weren't accepted more. The engine/transmission combo wasnt available from GM that Studebaker offered. That coupled with a much better front to rear balance made an even better handling car. Thanks for the memories Stu.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hey Stu , I picked up another one of those 66 jewellry tie tacks while in York .
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                    Hey Stu , I picked up another one of those 66 jewellry tie tacks while in York .
                    If you find any more of that 66 jewelry Bob you'll be able to go into business with it!
                    Stu Chapman

Comment

..well its just nice to have one of each <g>
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The exact timing...

To specifically answer John Wipff and Don Wilson, I would like to quote from Chapter Seventeen, Page 89, of my book, My Father The Car. The only Studebaker Hamilton senior management who knew in advance were President Gordon Grundy, Purchasing Vice President Ralph Wilson, Comptroller Graeme Allwood, General Sales Manager Tom Pryde and myself. This team had a pretty good idea of what was coming on February 21st 1966 and we knew for certain on February 28th. The next two paragraphs reflect my book copy.

On Thursday, March 3, 1966, at 2:30 PM, I received the expected direction. Keep your staff on standby overtime, and, as soon as the office closes, begin working on the news releases that would go out the next day. Not a word was to be said to anyone. Shortly after closing time, Lillian Morris (my Executive Assistant) and I began preparing the worst news imaginable. I elected to relieve Tom Baldock (Advertising Supervisor) from this pressure and sent him home at 4:30 PM without knowing what we were about to do.

On Friday, March 4, 1966, at 3:00 PM, the dubious distinction of announcing to Canada that the Studebaker dream was dead fell on my shoulders, while Bill Dredge, my counterpart in the United States, was doing the same thing in South Bend. President Gordon Grundy made the dreaded announcement to Studebaker's loyal employees in Hamilton, while SASCO related the same message to the United States staff in South Bend, Indiana, where it all began.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post

John
                          See my post #12 John.
                          Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                            Stu,
                            How long in advance did you know about the announcement, not that the end was coming, but the exact time you were to release the news?
                            See my post #12 Don.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

To: Stu Chapman,----- This is off topic, but I wondered if before things ended, was there any discussion of a power kit being made available as an option (4bbl carb and dual exhaust) on the 283? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X