Parts ID Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Parts ID Help Please

I recently bought this 50 Champ for my daughter. As I began the process of getting the brakes operational, I discovered that the car isn't supposed to have 5 lug wheels. That will give you an indication of my level of Studebaker acumen!

Here's what I've found. The right rear drum fits properly on the axle taper and the seal appears to seat as it should. The left rear drum looks different from the other three in that the hub flange is on the inside of the drum. It doesn't fit properly as the drum contacts the backing plate before it seats on the axle. Looks like someone took a grinder to the outer edge of the shoes to try to create some clearance. The small end of the taper is 0.922".

The front end appears to have stock spindles, judging by the backing plate bolt pattern. The nut has been modified with a deeper slot for the cotter key as it won't go on as far as with the original, as described in another post.

I suppose I'm happy with the basic configuration for now, but I'd like to know what year and model these parts might be from so I can order the correct wheel cylinders and a proper drum for the left rear.

I also intend to replace the master cylinder and split the system.

Thanks!

Mike
    Attached Files
    1950 Champion Sedan - Kid Car

To: Stratohammer,------------ Just an aside,-----------If the front drums have also been changed to the later 5 lug, I wouldn't be surprised to find the later self-energizing 6cyl. brake setup under them.

Comment

Bump!

I don't think I asked my question very clearly. The first two pictures depict different drums on the rear axle, and the second one (right) appears to fit properly. They are both 9" drums. What year would the RH one be? Are the fronts of the same vintage? Does this car have a later rear end? We've already discovered that it has a '59 engine.

I'd to be able to get the correct parts to get this vehicle on the road!

Thanks,

Mike
      1950 Champion Sedan - Kid Car

Comment

If your Pics would enlarge when clicking it the second time I would be able to see if these are the Lockheed Type self adjusting Brakes with Eccentrics on each shoe for manual adjustment or the later 1954 and up Wagner type with starwheel adjusters.

I think I see a brake lining "plug" in one shoe and a "C" clip lower shoe retainer indicating the old '47 to '53 type, with early type 1950 spindles. These are not compatable with wider '54 and up 5 lug Drums.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X