Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 Avanti II

Hi,

Im working on my Avanti #RQA-299 and this car has the GM 327 motor and the GM voltage regulator, On the regulator where you connect your wires into the regulator on top of the black plug it says F, 2, 3, 4 I cant for the life of me remember what wires go where,i have a yellow w/black tracer wire,Black wire,and a white wire w/black tracer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Dave

Originally posted by myhawk62 View Post
    Hi,

Im working on my Avanti #RQA-299 and this car has the GM 327 motor and the GM voltage regulator, On the regulator where you connect your wires into the regulator on top of the black plug it says F, 2, 3, 4 I cant for the life of me remember what wires go where,i have a yellow w/black tracer wire,Black wire,and a white wire w/black tracer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Dave
    Dave

I see that no one has answered so let me try to help.

Here is a later diagram from 72 up which may help as my 74 had a separate voltage regulator also. Muck around in these diagrams for a while and see if they help. http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...s/aec/aec.html

Also visit the total site and see what Bob has made available to we Studebaker and Avanti owners. The knowledge base is tremendous.

Lastly, if all else fails, Avanti II's are essentially SBC power plants and some accessories added to the original Avanti chassis and bodies, you might look at diagrams of the same or one year earlier Chevrolets and find what you need.

Lastly, WELCOME and pictures are not required but we live vicariously through the efforts of others on the forum, so please post a few shots of your Avanti.

Bob

Comment

Both the plug and the regulator should have the same markings in the same order. F is first, then 2, 3, 4. The 69 Chevy shop manual wiring diagram shows different wire colors than you describe. F is 16 gauge dark blue (to alternator), 2 is 20 white (also to alternator), 3 is 10 red (hot all the time on GM cars), 4 is 16 brown (to firewall plug). Black on GM cars is always ground, and shows as a separate wire just being grounded and attached to a mounting screw under the regulator. The differences may be due to the fact that Avanti Motors often bought their parts in bulk from GM, and often ended using stuff from the previous year. And they used their own wiring harnesses for some things.

I don't have a 68 Chevy shop manual, but the 67 shows this: F is 16 dark blue to alternator, 2 is 16 white to alternator, 3 is 20 orange connecting directly to 10 red, and 4 is 16 brown. There is no black wire shown.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

found out

Hey just wanted to let you know i found out where the wires go , the white with black tracer goes to the F terminal
        and the black wire goes to the number three terminal and the fourth is the yellow/black wire, Number two is blank..

Had the car over to a friends for awhile getting some much needed paint and body work, and every time he would try to start the car the battery was dead,im guessing i had the voltage regulator hooked up wrong and wasnt charging when i drove it .

Thanks

Dave RQA #299

Comment

To: myhawk62,---- Glad You figured out the wiring. As an aside, I used to own Avanti II RQA 298. Came from factory painted a Cadillac Emerald Green Lacquer. Had unusual bucket seats. I sold it to a person who
          lived in Cornish, Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            To: myhawk62,---- Glad You figured out the wiring. As an aside, I used to own Avanti II RQA 298. Came from factory painted a Cadillac Emerald Green Lacquer. Had unusual bucket seats. I sold it to a person who
            lived in Cornish, Maine.
            That is two of only 56 built 43 years ago.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              That is two of only 56 built 43 years ago.
              The most recent AOAI roster lists 25 1969 Avanti IIs. #299 is amoung them, #298 is not.

Pretty good survival rate...I'd be hard pressed to think of a 1969 car with a higher one. Ferrari perhaps, but that's it.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                The most recent AOAI roster lists 25 1969 Avanti IIs. #299 is amoung them, #298 is not.

Pretty good survival rate...I'd be hard pressed to think of a 1969 car with a higher one. Ferrari perhaps, but that's it.
                I would think that at least 36% of the 1969 Corvettes still exist, as well as other cars.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I would think that at least 36% of the 1969 Corvettes still exist, as well as other cars.
                  There's probably more "original" '69 big block Corvettes (and other models) out there than Chevrolet ever built as well!
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                  X