Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Shoe centering blocks

Hi folks,

I'd like to get your advices about a little thing.
    I'm currently overhauling my brakes on my 63 GT Six. I have the small drums (10" front & 9"rear) and no PB. The front wheels are already done and I'm finishing the rears.
    Doing this, I've discovered that the rear shoe centering blocks (or anchor blocks) were different. They have one curved side while the front ones have two straight sides and an S mark. According to the shop manual, the right model for all wheels is the curved one.
    Do you think that it is mandatory to replace the front blocks or will the brakes still perform properly with the straight anchors?

Thanks by advance and nice day to all.
    sigpic

You need to look closer, there is only one wedge shaped "block" that goes on the upper shoe anchor, the Forward side is the curved side, the Aft. side is the Straight side, there should be a Arrow stamped in it that points forward.

I have never seen one worn down so far as to be straight on the side that should be curved.
    They should be lubed with a dab of Lubriplate high temp. Grease and do not usually wear.

These are critical for allowing the Self Energizing Wagner design Brakes to "assist" applying the brakes, once the shoes touch the Drums.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: christophe,-------------------- If the curved side of the anchor block is somehow worn flat.....replace it (them). The 'S' mark doesn't sound right though.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.
        I've checked carefully but this is not wear. These blocks are originally symmetrical with two straight sides. In fact, they perfectly match with the extremity of the shoes. I have the strong feeling that this error occured during the assembly of the car.
        So far, it doesn't seem to empeach braking, but, as Studerich said, they logically must generate more friction than the curved model and impact the self-energizing process. Oh, well, If I have to remove again the front drums, it's no big fuss, but I geatly prefer to do well on the rear axle the first time.
        Thanks again and nice day to all.
        sigpic

Comment

I have never seen a block that did not have both the "s" and the arrow stamped into it...

Comment

To: jackb,--------- The arrow definitely. But the "S" ??

Comment

Working...
            X