PDA

View Full Version : Leaks, Leaks, Leaks

DWard
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Hello everyone,

I just changed the transmission pan gasket on my 57 Hawk Flightomatic. The new gasket is rubber. I straightened the pan at the bolt holes and checked the seal surface and it's in pretty good shape. It still leaks! I don't think more tightening will help( probably only bend the pan). I did not use any kind of gasket sealer because I thought the the rubber would seal----I was wrong. Is there a gasket sealer that anyone would recommend? Any other suggestions?
I'm getting ready to do the motor oil pan gasket next. As always Thanks---Dan

N8N
07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Had the same issue with the FOM in my '55 coupe (yes you read that right, it wasn't the original drivetrain.) What eventually worked was buttering the gasket with RTV before installing. Nothing else I tried worked. I eventually solved the problem for good by installing a T-10.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

DEEPNHOCK
07-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I would suggest Permatex Ultra-Black gasket sealer in conjunction with the gasket supplied.
First fix the pan so it is flat and straight.
Clean the pan gasket surface.
Apply a thin film of Permatex Ultra-Black to the pan surface.
Place the gasket onto the pan and set the pan onto a flat surface with a weight on it (5 pounds or so).
Let it set up overnight.
The next morning put a thin film onto the gasket and mount the pan to the freshly cleaned and prepped transmission surface.
Snug all the bolts hand tight with your socket and extension, and then torque them to spec with a torque wrench, being careful not to tighten the bolts too much.
IIRC, a 5/16" USS grade 5 bolt spec is 14 foot pounds.
Hope the info helps...
I hate leaks too..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by DWard

Hello everyone,

I just changed the transmission pan gasket on my 57 Hawk Flightomatic. The new gasket is rubber. I straightened the pan at the bolt holes and checked the seal surface and it's in pretty good shape. It still leaks! I don't think more tightening will help( probably only bend the pan). I did not use any kind of gasket sealer because I thought the the rubber would seal----I was wrong. Is there a gasket sealer that anyone would recommend? Any other suggestions?
I'm getting ready to do the motor oil pan gasket next. As always Thanks---Dan

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

sbca96
07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Usually you dont use sealant on a rubber seal, I would be concerned
that you straighted the hole areas, there should be a stamped ridge
that goes around the pan to help clamp down on the seal. Make sure
you didnt flatten that. I have had transmission fluid leak right on
through RTV personally. It actually got me fired from my job at Sears
many years ago - I swapped the new engine into my Hawk, and drove to
work, looked out and saw a HUGE pool of trans fluid underneath! I took
the car into the shop in an unused bay and put a drain pain under. No
one would fix the gasket for me, so I did it myself - a big NO NO.[B)]

Turned out it was the access plate on the tailshaft. The trans shop
"sealed" it with RTV. I think the only place that is good for RTV is
the front and back of a small block Chevy intake.

Permatex form-a-gasket No2 will stop the leak, and you can use it on
the already used gasket. Both sides .. very thin even coat. But I'm
still concerned about the pan.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

ROADRACELARK
07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Dan,
I've encountered this problem before, only to find after VERY close inspection, it was NOT the pan gasket, but the shift-shaft seal and o-ring. When it leaks, it runs along the pan rail and drips off at the rear. You need to clean the area around the shift-shaft and dry it real good. To check it close, you'll need a mirror as well as a light. Hope this helps.:)

Dan Miller
Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.

bams50
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
I highly recommend Aviation Cement- both sides of gasket.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

DWard
07-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all your help!

Nate---I am considering another transmission as well---Thanks for your reply.

Jeff---I have heard other people talk about "Ultra-Black gasket sealer as well--I'll check it out.

Thomas---The pan looked like it had been over tightened before--I was carefull not to damage the seal ridge but since it still leaks, I will inspect it again. Thanks

Dan---I'll check out the shift shaft seal---Thanks

Dan Ward