Karma parts for York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karma parts for York

Last fall a friend of mine gave me a box of NORS Studebaker parts he had sorted out from an old parts stash he had bought. I found a few things for my '53, but there was nothing else I needed. I decided that it just wouldn't be right to sell the stuff so I decided to make them Karma parts and offer them free at York. They are mostly early '50s things- oil seals, gaskets, etc. I will have them at the Potomac Chapter spaces in Building A. All I ask is that you take only what you really need or can use. Continue the Karma.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Great idea, Paul. Maybe York needs a "Karma table". I'm sure that most of us have some old part(s) that we no longer need that may be of use to someone else.
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

Very cool!
      ~Matt Connor
      '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
        Great idea, Paul. Maybe York needs a "Karma table". I'm sure that most of us have some old part(s) that we no longer need that may be of use to someone else.
        Not a bad idea Jim. I probably have a bunch of stuff that would go on it.
        I had posted to Stove Huggers why I believe in Karma, but the post got deleted for being redundant to this one. However, maybe some of the older members will appreciate the story anyhow. When we were getting ready to leave for the Philippines I thinned my wallet by taking out any credit cards, other cards, etc that I wouldn't be using. I was too lazy to go down stairs and get the vault key so I decided to just hide them where no one would think to look. Well, when I got back and my CRS was raging, I couldn't find them either- tore things apart looking. I was kind of concerned because when I was in The PI I got an email from one of the card companies asking me if a $3600 charge to an American company plus three attempts of more than $3000 each were valid charges. The card was one that I had hidden. I had my son go over to the house to see if it had been broken into- everything was fine. I reported this to the card company and they wrote off the charge to fraud and issued me another card. The three attempts were to a location in the Czech Republic so it was pretty apparent that somehow my card number had been hacked. I hadn't used it for more than a year.
        Anyhow, I hadn't found them yet and was getting ready to call three card companies to cancel the cards and reissue new ones. I also needed a new Sam's card and my National Park Senior Pass was in the lost cards. But, I decided to print a little sign about the Karma parts. Clicked "print" and the printer was out of paper. So, I reached under my desk and pulled out a pack of paper. There was little enough that I decided to just put it all in the printer. Guess what else was in the package. Now you know the rest of the story.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Did pretty well with my Karma parts at York- managed to give away about 80% of them and I was convinced that the people taking them needed them. Probably the choicest item was a '55/'56 Packard intake manifold gasket set. It went pretty quickly.
          It was a good weekend. Delivered Bob Palma's tires and he seemed pleased. Delivered the American Racing 16" Torque Thrusts with tires to Forum member David Woodcox and he seemed pleased. I couldn't believe he could load them in to a very small 20-year-old Toyota (?) hatchback, but he did.
          I delivered my Avanti valve covers and air cleaner to Matthew to take to Jerry Forrester for chroming. If they look half as good as the ones he sent with Matthew for Peter Sant (?), they will be gorgeous and will probably shame me in to doing other things to the car that need to be done. Hadn't seen Matthew since last South Bend International- really nice to chat with him and see the work he is doing (fantastic). We need a bunch more Matthews.
          Bought a set of NOS Studebaker/Champion H-10 plugs from Matthew for my '53 Commander. Picked up a nice order from Betty Myer- more Avanti goodies I really needed. Myer's Studebaker is THE place. Bought a nice set of stainless Avanti exhaust tips from my neighbor vendor.
          Saturday morning Joe Zeiger delivered the neat '64 Avanti documents he offered to the Forum last week. Nice to find something I didn't have and nice to meet another member.
          Only negative thing was- I plugged my laptop in to a wall outlet at my space to run a brief slide show and got charged $30 for doing so. Turns out the York Fairground people charge $30 per day for use of electricity in the building.

Comment

Indeed, Paul; very happy you offered the tires and more than "seemed pleased!"

As I said, they turned out to be identical to the new set I bought for my '64 hardtop awhile back, and the fifth one for the hardtop I bought at the same time that has never been on a wheel. So I've now got nine matching P195/75R15s, thanks to your thoughtfulness.

Again, much appreciaterd and many thanks. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
            X