PDA

View Full Version : Exterior door handle 47-52 car

Michidan
07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Wondering how to get the 2 pieces apart. My springs are bad, and I already have a replacements. There is a large rivet that holds the handle in the main piece, looks like its in a brass bushing.
Surely you don't have to destroy the pin to remove it? I am hoping they are threaded or some little un-seen trick exists.

Dan
52 hardtop
www.studebakerhardtop.com

52 Ragtop
07-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Dan,
When I did my 52, I had the same problem. I ground off the "peened over" part of the rivet, took it all apart, got new springs from Tractor Supply (local hardware) then took the old rivet (brass if I remember right) and drilled and tapped a hole in it 8-32 maybe it was 10-32 used a small washer and loctite and fixed the handle. I used the original rivet because it was the correct size and length.

Jim

Michidan
07-16-2007, 12:55 PM
To clear up my stupid question - It looked like a 2 piece pin & bushing but it was an illusion. Just one brass pin with a head on one ended and peened over on the other.
Was able to knock it out, and reuse it.

Dan
52 hardtop
www.studebakerhardtop.com

52-fan
07-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I,for one, appreciate the update after you solved the problem. I knew that many years ago I repaired one of my handles with a hardware store spring stocked for garden shears(fit perfectly), but I could not remember the details. I guess I was not curious enough to pull one of my handles, but I didn't remember the repair being hard to do.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas