PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Cold feet!

Polle
02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
hi there! It's been a while since I posted here on the board, sorry for that (been busy working on my truck (1955 e-series truck).

Together with a friend, I'm just about to drop a '55 259 V8 studebaker engine and automatic tranny into my e-series truck that used to have the line six engine and manual tranny.

I'm kinda having cold feet since Studebaker engine parts are not easily available where I live in The Netherlands (europe). What happens when I need engine parts (llike bearings, camshaft, seals etc, etc) for it?

I really don't want to end up puttig a chevy 350 combo or somewhat in it! On the other hand, I don't want to end up stuck with a broken down engine without parts, after changing the chassis, motor mounts and droppin the engine in...

I'm hoping you guys understand....maybe you have some web sites for me where I can get all parts, for a decent price? Hoping to get some good advice!

Cheers, Polle
The Netherlands, Europe

kmac530
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
You do whatever you NEED to do to be a good reliable truck. However, parts are readily available from Studebakers International and Studebaker West and Hilborn and.....many if not all will ship internationally and parts overall are affordable.
I just rebuilt my '63 289 Stude motor and the complete minor overhaul kit was only $580.00 USD. That was rings, cam/crank/rod bearings, all gaskets, all seals, oil pump rebuild kit w/new shafts and gears and cover plate, new oil pressure relief valve, new cam timing gear, and a few other bits. I received it in 4 days from ordering. I dont know if you could get all of that for a standard Chev 350 for that price.
I wont be mad at you for putting in a SBC, if that is what you decide you need to do, but do not be afraid of the Stude. It will just mean a few days between ordering and receiving parts, Rather than walking into a local parts house for them. Although I am not sure that an AP store in the Netherlands will even have SBC parts on the shelf.

Post up some pics.

kmac530
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Here is a link to SI.

http://www.studebaker-intl.com/

Polle
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

I did some web searching myself and also came across the site you mention. Prices are quite ok. I have to add some shipping cost but all seems to be available and reasonable.

So, cold feet are gone, Studebaker V8 it will be, thanks a lot for the support!

Polle
02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
ow, and a recent picture ...

kmac530
02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
WOW, what a sweet looking truck. You gotta keep it Stude powered. Imaging the oogles when you pop the hood and people see the Stude V8...

52-fan
02-28-2012, 02:32 PM
You do whatever you NEED to do to be a good reliable truck. However, parts are readily available from Studebakers International and Studebaker West and Hilborn and.....many if not all will ship internationally and parts overall are affordable.

I guess you mean Fairborn and not Hilborn?

kmac530
02-28-2012, 04:08 PM
HaHaHa...I did that on another thread but I caught it and edited it before anyone saw it...Hilborn injection, Fairborn Studebakers....I have bought from both and you would think I could keep them straight.

Ron Dame
02-28-2012, 07:15 PM
I agree, what a pretty truck! Everyone does it different, but I like a bit of patina on a truck. Also check out the Studebaker truck farmers forum at
http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

You don't need to be a farmer or even a truck owner, but these guys also have a lot of truck specific information.

WOW, what a sweet looking truck. You gotta keep it Stude powered. Imaging the oogles when you pop the hood and people see the Stude V8...

SN-60
02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
To: Polle,------- The Studebaker V8, in good condition, is a rugged, reliable, and economical powerplant. But if Your intending to use the early (pre'56) automatic transmission behind it, You need to be aware that it's hard to find
anyone that can properly repair that trans. in this Country, not to mention parts for it were hard to get thirty years ago. And Your in the Netherlands! A stickshift behind that Stude engine would probably be a better move. Good Luck

kmac530
02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Just a thought Polle,
You could likely find someone maybe on the east coast who could help you with hard to find parts and shipping them to you.

I mean if you find a part from someone who does not want to ship internationally, OR, if there is a big charge for tariffs on a new part, you may be able to have it shipped to someone on the east coast and have them forward it to you as a normal package, possibly avoiding some of the extra charges or getting it shipped when someone might not want to ship internationally.

I would not mind helping you out that way, and I will as a last resort, but being on the west coast there may be extra expenses shipping it cross country first. But I can help if you need it.
If you ordered it from say Indiana, then shipped it to my place, then I shipped it to you, that may not be too cost effect compared to shipping from Indiana to NY {or somewhere near there} then forwarding it on to you.

I am not sure if that would help or not, but I do know that new items sold by a dealer are sometimes tariffed or taxed to ship internationally. But a package shipped from a resident to a resident are often not.

Polle
03-02-2012, 02:52 AM
thanks again for all the help guys, much appreciated! I'm confident that, should I need parts, it will work out somehow!

@ KMAC530; you're right! New items sold bij dealers are (import) taxed as soon as they cross the border. Packages sent by residents (as gift) are not taxed! Thanks again!!!

christophe
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi John,

For your parts, don't forget to check with Graham Gagne (http://www.kgworks.ca/studeparts/). He's a nice guy and his parts are cheaper than S.I.
Your truck is very nice and I hope I'll see it on the road one day.

Nice weekend to all.

63 R2 Hawk
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Studebaker V8s were designed to be much stronger than Chevy sb (& most other) motors. They have heavier, stronger blocks, forged steel cranks and extra headbolts. I properly rebuilt, a Studebaker V8 should last a very long time.

candbstudebakers
03-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Hi John,

For your parts, don't forget to check with Graham Gagne (http://www.kgworks.ca/studeparts/). He's a nice guy and his parts are cheaper than S.I.
Your truck is very nice and I hope I'll see it on the road one day.

Nice weekend to all.

I do not know who this Graham is but as a parts vender for many years with a lot less over head that SI or Studebakers West, or Northwest Studebakers, and a few others I can sell for less than they can but I do not refill as things go away like they do and keep in mind with out them what do we have? or where will we be in 10 years or so? I am right across the bridge from Studebakers West and have people tell me they are to high to buy from all I tell them is you are looking at the picture wrong and take a look at their building and overhead before you speak and don't compare them with me as they have a lot more items than I do and this is how they choose to try and make a living many years ago if and when they close their doors then what? I will close before them as I will run out of parts before they do and am older also, SI just spent a lot of money and time in making SI an operation we all hope will be here for the long run as it has since it first started in So. Cal. the bigger guys all have us as Studebaker owner at heart when selling ect. try and find the same kind of feeling at a ford dealer?

rodnutrandy
03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree with above post! I bought new headlight bezels for my M from SI. Quality work that fit better than the stock ones. How could I hope to find them without a vendor stepping up to the plate? Love the car Too!!!

brian6373
03-03-2012, 02:08 PM
You tell'um Bob!

rkapteyn
03-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Polle

It seems that you mastered English very well.There are at least two Studebaker parts vendors that were born in Holland and still speak the language.
Frank Van Doorn of Howard Studebaker Parts , frankvandoorn@cox.net and me ,Robert Kapteyn of Joliet Studebaker. studebaker@mac.com.