What the ^$#$%%^ is this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the ^$#$%%^ is this thing?

Nackardbaker, 1957 roadster Convertible, never heard of it. Is this a Packard, Stude, Nash? Found it here.
    www.desertclassics.com/Conv2b.html

[IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by showbizkid; 02-27-2012, 09:46 AM. Reason: FTFY!

Well...looks to me like someone had access to a cutting torch, a welder, a junk yard, and little money cause he was having too much fun spending time cobbling something like this together.

It reminds me of what my older brother and his high school shop class buddies did to a straight eight 1937 Buick in 1956!

I hope the fun factor was worth it...wish I had been there!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not sure what the fit and finish is like, but it IS interesting to me. I kind of like it. Creative. Different. Fun looking. Ecclectic.
      I would take it, not for asking price, but that is just me.

Comment

Well, cross Stude with Nash and you get Stash. My guess is this is a Stash-Healey!
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I do not see ANY info at all on this Car on the junkyard's Website, other than:
          "Nackardbaker, 1957 roadster $4,500"

So no way to tell what frame and Engine was used.
          All we do know is that it has a Packard Grille and '47-'49 Champion or "R" Series Truck Head Light Rims.

Being so narrow and also short, it would be much lighter than contemporary Cars of the day, so with a reasonable amount of power it could be pretty fast.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here's a better link with more pictures:

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

So after the new added pictures That thing is even cooler, although I think I would go back to some front engine and ditch the aircooled V-twin...{harley motor?} and make that rear engine compartment a rumble seat set up...that would be cool....notice all of the peeling off bondo patches...they look thicker than the reccomended bondo thickness...LOL

Comment

I like it. I would drive it, too. I think I'd have to put a windshield and a top on it first. That hood doesn't look too stable, and if it flew back over and pounded me on the head, it would HAVE to hurt!

Dave Bonn
                '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

I just read the more detailed description. No engine. Well, that kills it for me.

DB

Comment

If the thing has a Fiat chassis I bet it didn't have a V twin, I bet it had a Fiat 500 engine.

It would be a cool project but I expect you'd need to do everything, starting with replacing the chassis with a front engine/rear drive setup. How about a souped up Champion engine in it?
                    Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I think the mid-engine set up would be better for handling. A Harley V-twin would be interesting, lots of power if you wanted it. Since it is a Fiat chassis an 850 Abarth engine of the early '60's would also be very interesting. A Champion engine is tempting, but its weight to horsepower (even when modified) would probably not be as good as the Fiat/Abarth engine. Lots of possibilities, but the starting price is way too much from what I can see.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

What about this? Only $70,000 (!)
                        This green 1937 Brauks 8 five window coupe is a one-off custom-built car ready to be restored or rodded.

p.s. I've read about this car year ago--something dire happened to the engine :-(

p.p.s. There is a nice 57 Studebaker Provincial wagon.

I wonder about the prices, being 2 to 5 times higher than one would expect. Rust free goes far, but not that far.
                        Last edited by Jim B PEI; 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                          What about this? Only $70,000 (!)
                          This green 1937 Brauks 8 five window coupe is a one-off custom-built car ready to be restored or rodded.

p.s. I've read about this car year ago--something dire happened to the engine :-(

p.p.s. There is a nice 57 Studebaker Provincial wagon.

I wonder about the prices, being 2 to 5 times higher than one would expect. Rust free goes far, but not that far.
                          Factor in possibly major body/frame work against those much higher prices for clean metal in all fairness.
                          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Front and rear bumpers appear to be Stude. Body from cowl back has Nash METROPOLITAN roots (taillights and think about those cut-down doors).
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Definitely Nash Metro from the rear view - fenders and cut down doors. The Fiat frame is curous though. Why?

Comment

Working...
                              X