PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a 65 Wagonaire

Hazel Mama
09-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi there!

I have a 65 Wagonaire in pretty beautiful shape - original interior and exterior.
There are about 60K original miles on it.
Private schooling is necessitating the sale of this dignified friend.
Here is my question:
The car needs about $1,500 - 2K worth of work on the clutch and transmission.
I am wondering if I should spend the money to get it in great running shape, or if it is more attractive to someone who wants to fix it up a bit.

ANY advice is appreciated!

DilloCrafter
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hazel Mama
You will get LOTS of free advice here!

My opinion is that someone will buy it on eBay even knowing what it needs done to it (and buyers are not turned off by thorough listings with details of what's good and what needs work - they trust you more because of it).

On the other hand, if you put that money into it, you may well get it all back and then some, since there are buyers out there who will pay a pretty penny for a car that is complete, beautiful, and in need of no work to make it a great driver.

I hope JDP and Dick Steinkamp and others can chime in here, as they have paid a lot of attention to the art of buying and selling Studebakers.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

DilloCrafter
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
You will get LOTS of free advice here!

My opinion is that someone will buy it on eBay even knowing what it needs done to it (and buyers are not turned off by thorough listings with details of what's good and what needs work - they trust you more because of it).

On the other hand, if you put that money into it, you may well get it all back and then some, since there are buyers out there who will pay a pretty penny for a car that is complete, beautiful, and in need of no work to make it a great driver.

I hope JDP and Dick Steinkamp and others can chime in here, as they have paid a lot of attention to the art of buying and selling Studebakers.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

55s
09-11-2006, 04:23 PM
I think that 1,500 to 2,000 for a repair job on a standard transmission is totally out of line. An automatic may cost $1,500 to repair and replace, but standards should be much cheaper. I'd get some other quotes.

It is also extremely unlikely that you will find as reliable a ride, and one that is just about the right size as the Studebaker for the money you may get from it.

Unfortunately, I consider prices for Studebakers to be lower than what you'd expect. Without any details, it is hard to appraise a car, but I expect the high value range for the car is in the current condition is only 3-5K. There are some magazines available to self- appraise a car, but in the end, its whatever a willing purchaser will pay.

My 2 cents.

Paul

55s
09-11-2006, 04:23 PM
I think that 1,500 to 2,000 for a repair job on a standard transmission is totally out of line. An automatic may cost $1,500 to repair and replace, but standards should be much cheaper. I'd get some other quotes.

It is also extremely unlikely that you will find as reliable a ride, and one that is just about the right size as the Studebaker for the money you may get from it.

Unfortunately, I consider prices for Studebakers to be lower than what you'd expect. Without any details, it is hard to appraise a car, but I expect the high value range for the car is in the current condition is only 3-5K. There are some magazines available to self- appraise a car, but in the end, its whatever a willing purchaser will pay.

My 2 cents.

Paul

Roscomacaw
09-11-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm with Paul here. You'd have to give us much more in the way of details about how the car's equipped and what it's current condition is. There's no "pat answer" just for any 65 Wagonaire. To my way of thinking, of late, Stude prices have slumped. There's been some Wagonaires go for under a thousand lately. NOT really nice one, mind you, but again, condition is everything.

$1500 - $2K is ALOT of dough for a clutch job and usually it's only one or the other - not BOTH tranny and clutch. Sounds to me like you're being set up by whoever gave you an estimate.[}:)] Of course - again, without details, we're graspin' at shadows.:(

OK, I went back and read that it's in "pretty nice shape". And if I see it as very presentable - inside and out, I'd say you'd get better money for it if it was driveable. I still think the estimate's high unless there TRULY is something wrong with the tranny.
Unscrupulous repair guys LOVE to gouge women for things they have no knowledge of when it comes to cars. And some places will give inflated estimates just BECAUSE it's a Studebaker and they really don't wanna mess with it thinking it's gonna end up being a bear to get parts for and fix. It really wouldn't BE like that but most shops nowdays have never SEEN a Studebaker and would rather beg off than have to deal with comebacks on repairs they've done.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
09-11-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm with Paul here. You'd have to give us much more in the way of details about how the car's equipped and what it's current condition is. There's no "pat answer" just for any 65 Wagonaire. To my way of thinking, of late, Stude prices have slumped. There's been some Wagonaires go for under a thousand lately. NOT really nice one, mind you, but again, condition is everything.

$1500 - $2K is ALOT of dough for a clutch job and usually it's only one or the other - not BOTH tranny and clutch. Sounds to me like you're being set up by whoever gave you an estimate.[}:)] Of course - again, without details, we're graspin' at shadows.:(

OK, I went back and read that it's in "pretty nice shape". And if I see it as very presentable - inside and out, I'd say you'd get better money for it if it was driveable. I still think the estimate's high unless there TRULY is something wrong with the tranny.
Unscrupulous repair guys LOVE to gouge women for things they have no knowledge of when it comes to cars. And some places will give inflated estimates just BECAUSE it's a Studebaker and they really don't wanna mess with it thinking it's gonna end up being a bear to get parts for and fix. It really wouldn't BE like that but most shops nowdays have never SEEN a Studebaker and would rather beg off than have to deal with comebacks on repairs they've done.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

52hawk
09-11-2006, 07:48 PM
You don't mention your location,but if you have an ebay acct,that's where to sell it.On the east coast,we have JDP,to list it and help sell it,on the west coast there's Dick Steinkamp,and Mr Biggs,and a few thousand of us SDC'ers in between!! As has been said"trans and clutch???'doubtful.
A few pics would help us all figure out what we're talking about here.Your location is important,due to the fact that the car needs transmission OR clutch work-and would have to be hauled to a new home.-that IS expensive.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

52hawk
09-11-2006, 07:48 PM
You don't mention your location,but if you have an ebay acct,that's where to sell it.On the east coast,we have JDP,to list it and help sell it,on the west coast there's Dick Steinkamp,and Mr Biggs,and a few thousand of us SDC'ers in between!! As has been said"trans and clutch???'doubtful.
A few pics would help us all figure out what we're talking about here.Your location is important,due to the fact that the car needs transmission OR clutch work-and would have to be hauled to a new home.-that IS expensive.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

bams50
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Her profile says LA, CA.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

bams50
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Her profile says LA, CA.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

rockne10
09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I too would look for a second or third opinion on the work involved.
If everything in the trans is broken, maybe. But then I would look for a decent donor that only needs freshened. I had my 3-speed w/od overhauled by a professional, replacing only necessary parts, for $365. Clutch kits are only a couple hundred bucks and a couple hours labor.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rockne10
09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I too would look for a second or third opinion on the work involved.
If everything in the trans is broken, maybe. But then I would look for a decent donor that only needs freshened. I had my 3-speed w/od overhauled by a professional, replacing only necessary parts, for $365. Clutch kits are only a couple hundred bucks and a couple hours labor.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

gordr
09-12-2006, 03:15 AM

Hi there!

I have a 65 Wagonaire in pretty beautiful shape - original interior and exterior.
Here is my question:
I am wondering if I should spend the money to get it in great running shape, or if it is more attractive to someone who wants to fix it up a bit.

Hazel,

Is the car a six cylinder or a V8? They don't use the same transmission, you know. While the clutch in these cars is basically a Chevy part, and readily available, the transmissions are unique to Studebaker, and quite different from one another. Last I heard, you could still get NEW six cylinder overdrive transmissions from SASCO for about $395. (Please don't assume that figure is accurate.) New V8 trannies are not available, but rebuild parts are.

In any case, I'd recommend that you have the car looked at by an experienced Studebaker mechanic before committing to having any work done. As others have said, shops doing mainly Brand X work will quote Studebaker jobs WAAAY high, in hopes that you will simply go away, and if you don't, they have covered themselves against their imagined high parts cost.

If you decide to sell the car, I'd recommend that you DON'T attempt to fix it. If you spend any money at all to prep it for sale, have it detailed and power-buffed to shine it up for the pictures. Most of your target market consists of people who can either do their own repair work, or who know where to get it done at a fair price.

Station wagons, especially the Wagonaires with the sliding roof, are quite sought after these days. You might do quite well on eBay with a good presentation, meaning lots of sharp pictures.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

gordr
09-12-2006, 03:15 AM

Hi there!

Here is my question:

Hazel,

Is the car a six cylinder or a V8? They don't use the same transmission, you know. While the clutch in these cars is basically a Chevy part, and readily available, the transmissions are unique to Studebaker, and quite different from one another. Last I heard, you could still get NEW six cylinder overdrive transmissions from SASCO for about $395. (Please don't assume that figure is accurate.) New V8 trannies are not available, but rebuild parts are.

In any case, I'd recommend that you have the car looked at by an experienced Studebaker mechanic before committing to having any work done. As others have said, shops doing mainly Brand X work will quote Studebaker jobs WAAAY high, in hopes that you will simply go away, and if you don't, they have covered themselves against their imagined high parts cost.

If you decide to sell the car, I'd recommend that you DON'T attempt to fix it. If you spend any money at all to prep it for sale, have it detailed and power-buffed to shine it up for the pictures. Most of your target market consists of people who can either do their own repair work, or who know where to get it done at a fair price.

Station wagons, especially the Wagonaires with the sliding roof, are quite sought after these days. You might do quite well on eBay with a good presentation, meaning lots of sharp pictures.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

showbizkid
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by gordr

It's funny to see how the wagons have finally become a desirable body style. My first year in college, I mentioned to my best friend's dad (who was a Studebaker fanatic and also had the county's first Isuzu Diesel truck distributorship) that I liked Wagonaires. He offered to sell me a freshly rebuilt 259 for $300 "and I'll throw in a Wagonaire body for free. Pick out any one you like. I've got a half-dozen."

Wish I'd taken him up on it. [V]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

showbizkid
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by gordr

It's funny to see how the wagons have finally become a desirable body style. My first year in college, I mentioned to my best friend's dad (who was a Studebaker fanatic and also had the county's first Isuzu Diesel truck distributorship) that I liked Wagonaires. He offered to sell me a freshly rebuilt 259 for $300 "and I'll throw in a Wagonaire body for free. Pick out any one you like. I've got a half-dozen."

Wish I'd taken him up on it. [V]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Dick Steinkamp
09-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Good advice here (as usual [^])

IMHO, the BEST '65 wagon would be a Daytona V8 sliding roof. If it is one of these, and truly is in "beautiful shape" (and everybodys definition of "beautiful shape" is different), I think it would bring $4500-$5500 on eBay with the right description and pictures IF it was also a good running and driving car. "Needing transmission and clutch work" would knock at least $2k off this figure (again, IMHO).

Have you tried Studebaker Parts and Service in Long Beach? 562.436.3782

One more thing...

I sold my 17.000 mile '62 Lark Regal Sedan to a lady in LA that also had a '65 wagon. Could that be you??

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
09-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Good advice here (as usual [^])

IMHO, the BEST '65 wagon would be a Daytona V8 sliding roof. If it is one of these, and truly is in "beautiful shape" (and everybodys definition of "beautiful shape" is different), I think it would bring $4500-$5500 on eBay with the right description and pictures IF it was also a good running and driving car. "Needing transmission and clutch work" would knock at least $2k off this figure (again, IMHO).

Have you tried Studebaker Parts and Service in Long Beach? 562.436.3782

One more thing...

I sold my 17.000 mile '62 Lark Regal Sedan to a lady in LA that also had a '65 wagon. Could that be you??

Hazel Mama
09-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes, Dick! I am the one who bought your beautiful Lark.
I still have it. I am holding as tight as I can to that one.
I thought your name was my Lark's Papa, but I saw the Bellingham, WA tag and couldn't imagine you leaving idyllic Santa Cruz.
Do you remember the wagon - I drove it up to pick up the Lark?

Everyone's advice has been superb and greatly appreciated!
I am going to take some photos, post them, and see if everyone sticks to their opinions.
Sorry to say, I can never remember the engine/mechanical info.
The wagon is all original Chevy parts - 289 engine? Does that sound right?
It has the sliding roof, 3 on the tree stick, no options I know of.
I will post more info when I get some photos.

Thanks again!

Hazel Mama
09-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I still have it. I am holding as tight as I can to that one.
I thought your name was my Lark's Papa, but I saw the Bellingham, WA tag and couldn't imagine you leaving idyllic Santa Cruz.
Do you remember the wagon - I drove it up to pick up the Lark?

Everyone's advice has been superb and greatly appreciated!
I am going to take some photos, post them, and see if everyone sticks to their opinions.
Sorry to say, I can never remember the engine/mechanical info.
The wagon is all original Chevy parts - 289 engine? Does that sound right?
It has the sliding roof, 3 on the tree stick, no options I know of.
I will post more info when I get some photos.

Thanks again!

Roscomacaw
09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
The Chevy V8 would be 283.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
The Chevy V8 would be 283.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Dick Steinkamp
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM

Great to hear from you, Mary Ann! I do remember your wagon. It is a beauty for sure. We moved to Bellingham last year. Don't tell anyone, but it's just as idyllic as Santa Cruz [^].

I forget where in the LA area you live, but if you give us an idea, perhaps there is a forum member who knows of a good mechanic there, or who could drop by and help you evaluate the clutch/trans problem.

I'm glad my '62 found a good home. I do miss that car. It is a sweetie :). Just like a 1 year old used car. Only lost 2 points total out of 400 at a zone meet...for a non Studebaker outside rearview mirror...and I'm convinced the dealer had installed it.

http://static.flickr.com/42/103938985_61a284b22c_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/38/120045159_8fa749e953_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/26/103937595_e62e4865ab_o.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM

Great to hear from you, Mary Ann! I do remember your wagon. It is a beauty for sure. We moved to Bellingham last year. Don't tell anyone, but it's just as idyllic as Santa Cruz [^].

I forget where in the LA area you live, but if you give us an idea, perhaps there is a forum member who knows of a good mechanic there, or who could drop by and help you evaluate the clutch/trans problem.

I'm glad my '62 found a good home. I do miss that car. It is a sweetie :). Just like a 1 year old used car. Only lost 2 points total out of 400 at a zone meet...for a non Studebaker outside rearview mirror...and I'm convinced the dealer had installed it.

http://static.flickr.com/42/103938985_61a284b22c_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/38/120045159_8fa749e953_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/26/103937595_e62e4865ab_o.jpg

studegary
09-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Nice '62, Dick, but I would have docked you a couple of more points for those two '63 and up labels under the hood <G>.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

studegary
09-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Nice '62, Dick, but I would have docked you a couple of more points for those two '63 and up labels under the hood <G>.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Dick Steinkamp
09-13-2006, 10:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

I have to admit that I detailed the engine compartment. Glad you didn't judge that meet, Gary...I would have lost a few bragging rights :)

Dick Steinkamp
09-13-2006, 10:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

I have to admit that I detailed the engine compartment. Glad you didn't judge that meet, Gary...I would have lost a few bragging rights :)