Eye Candy 2/24/12: 53 Starlight custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Candy 2/24/12: 53 Starlight custom

Basil Derrough's sapphire-blue beauty, seen after a rain squall at 2009 CHAA Tillsonburg Wings & Wheels event.

Twenty-three Model Ts also turned out; here are some of them...

Nice 12-cylinder German import put in an appearance the following year...you don't see many of these. (Incidentally this one is currently for sale.)

S.
    Last edited by Steve T; 02-24-2012, 05:36 PM.

Nice pics. Thank you for posting.
    I don't think I've ever seen a Model T with disc wheels before.
    Last edited by Gary1953; 02-24-2012, 07:07 PM.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
      I don't think I've ever seen a Model T with disc wheels before.
      Note the all white rubber; definitely an up-town car.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for posting.
        Basil's car looks good, and so does that ME 109.
        Do you know where the ME calls home.

Comment

Ohhhhh.... Nice '53. Right color, right wheels. Also like the military vehicles in the background.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

[QUOTE=johnod;624123]
            Basil's car looks good, QUOTE]

You two guys should get your cars together for a photo session....I keep mistaking one for the other....they gotta be bro`s! Cheers, Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

One could buy a nicfe, driveable Stude for what it costs to feed that 109 for an hour! And just LOOK at the camber setting on that landing gear! Looks like a "bagged" Chevy truck
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Messerschmitt is still, for now, hangared at Niagara South Airfield near Niagara Falls. A Hawker Hurricane and a Harvard (Commonwealth T-6 Texan version) keep it company. The owner, Ed Russell, is an architect who some years back won a giant lawsuit against the Disney corporation; a longstanding passion of Mr Russell's was aviation history, specifically the Battle of Britain, so with some of the lawsuit proceeds he went Warbird shopping, garnering a Spitfire as well as the above-named trio. For several years he campaigned his fleet on the local airshow circuit and also hosted some shows at Niagara South itself, but has now decided to exit the field; the Spitfire returned to the UK last year and the Hurri and 109 are for sale (not sure what the plans are for the Harvard).

There are two very similar-looking 53 Starlight rods in southern Ontario; the other one is a tad more purple and has less chrome, but otherwise looks very like Basil's car. Both have been at the same event a few times and probably many photographers have shot only one of them, thinking they were the same car!

S.

Comment

Many runway accidents because of the configuration of that landing gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                    The Messerschmitt is still, for now, hangared at Niagara South Airfield near Niagara Falls. A Hawker Hurricane and a Harvard (Commonwealth T-6 Texan version) keep it company. The owner, Ed Russell, is an architect who some years back won a giant lawsuit against the Disney corporation; a longstanding passion of Mr Russell's was aviation history, specifically the Battle of Britain, so with some of the lawsuit proceeds he went Warbird shopping, garnering a Spitfire as well as the above-named trio. For several years he campaigned his fleet on the local airshow circuit and also hosted some shows at Niagara South itself, but has now decided to exit the field; the Spitfire returned to the UK last year and the Hurri and 109 are for sale (not sure what the plans are for the Harvard).

There are two very similar-looking 53 Starlight rods in southern Ontario; the other one is a tad more purple and has less chrome, but otherwise looks very like Basil's car. Both have been at the same event a few times and probably many photographers have shot only one of them, thinking they were the same car!

S.
                    Yes that would be mine.

Thanks for the plane info, that must have been quite the law suit,

Comment

Working...
                    X