Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stude TURTLE? How about The Studebaker BUZZARD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude TURTLE? How about The Studebaker BUZZARD?

From Studebaker's Applied Research Division, as reported in the 1963 Shareholder's Information File:

(No, I don't have any idea what they were thinking. <GGG>) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Its been discussed on the Forum several time before....

Comment

Was there ever one built that actually flew?

Comment

Yep: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=turtle

Craig

Comment

Perhaps I missed it but couldn't locate any reference to it in those links.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Oh yes, the flying Avanti. I heard somehwere that a prototype was built, but I haven't seen any pictures of it other than that ad. Where did you find that, Bob? It's different than the ad that appeared in TW.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Hi, Chris: That information is within a packet of material that was sent to shareholders in 1963 to beef up their enthusiasm for the "new" corporation.

The packet contains individual information sheets about each of the company's divisions. The item about the Studebaker Buzzard, as you see, is on the individual sheet about Studebaker's Applied Research Division.

When I was your age (a year younger, actually!), my parents bought me a couple shares of The Studebaker Corporation so I would feel a part of it even though I couldn't hardly buy a whole new car at age 17. I kept all the Annual Reports and other materials mailed to me, but we/they sold the stock as soon as the company went out of the car business and the stock price went up!

Obviously (or it should be obvious!), I just posted this as a tongue-in-cheek fun item, since the name "buzzard" is bizzare. I'm sure we couldn't imagine a Studebaker vehicle of any sort being marketed as a "Buzzard!" <GGG> BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 02-24-2012, 05:03 PM.
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                the name "buzzard" is bizzare. I'm sure we couldn't imagine a Studebaker vehicle of any sort being marketed as a "Buzzard!" <GGG> BP
                i don't know, Bob. since it appears in the ad to be a military "vehicle", perhaps the "buzzard" was meant to clean up after the "predator" did its business. would be sent in for "clean-up" duty!!!

always ahead of their time!
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

And here also: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t-Buzzard-quot

Sure hard to get rid of those old BUZZARDs!
                  <GGG>

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                    Sure hard to get rid of those old BUZZARDs!
                    Are you sure you never got to drive....er...FLY one as per your post #71 in this thread??

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      Are you sure you never got to drive....er...FLY one as per your post #71 in this thread??

Craig
                      No Craig, I'm certain I did not "fly" any BUZZARDs ...BUT I most certainly did "fly" several HUMMERs at the old Studebaker Aviation Plant (a.k.a. the HUMMER Off-Road Course) during the filming of a promo video! <GGG>

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                        No Craig, I'm certain I did not "fly" any BUZZARDs ...BUT I most certainly did "fly" several HUMMERs at the old Studebaker Aviation Plant (a.k.a. the HUMMER Off-Road Course) during the filming of a promo video! <GGG>
                        Lucky, I've always wanted to do that! Perhaps if Ed made a promo film that included several Studebaker's going around the test track... And a Weasel..... I know a race driver who could handle the job.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

I think the only Studebaker Buzzards in existence are the old buzzards who sell Studebakers :-)~
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                            I think the only Studebaker Buzzards in existence are the old buzzards who sell Studebakers :-)~
                            Didn't you know Packards in Detroit were 'Built for seniors by seniors'? Hell, they even called their top-of-the line models, 'Senior' series!!

Craig
                            Last edited by 8E45E; 02-25-2012, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X