Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 1951 Commander Questions

I bought another Studebaker last night.

It is a 1951 Commander 4 Door. I don't know much about it yet. V8, Automatic, and it runs well. I drove it home. Has been converted to 12V with an alternator.

However it needs 3 door and 2 vent windows. Where should I order these parts? I see several online flat glass companies with similar prices but want to order from a recommended source. I live in Austin, Tx.

The vin is 8183945

What years and models can be interchanged? From what I see it might be 51-54 Champion and Commander, but that is just a guess.

Just last week I saw an ad from a guy near Houston who found on on property he bought and wanted $300 for it. All I remember is that it had all the glass and looked poorly. Of course, when I got home last night the ad was removed.

thanks,
    Steven
    Attached Files

47 through 52 might be a better search. Shipping is the big question. If you can find a place you can drive to....
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Good grief! If those rear doors have vent windows (looks like it on my computer), you have the buy of this century so far. A running '51 Land Cruiser (or Commander) for $300!? I don't know how old you are or what skills you have, but if you have the ability to do your own work, you are way ahead of the game.

There are fellow Studebaker folks in your area. Take your time, make some friends, and you should uncover resources to get what you need at fair prices. If you are not a member, join the SDC and your regional chapter.

After buying that car at scrap price...you should not mind spending some real dollars on things that matter. Take a little time to research and learn the Studebaker world, and you will be better equipped to make good decisions. Impatience will cost you. Be aware this forum is but a small glimpse of what is available. Many of our fans are older, don't play with computers, and certainly don't hang around on this forum.

Welcome to our world, and post some more pictures! Good luck with the cars!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was looking at a parts car for $300 to source the glass that his Commander needs. He didn't say how much he paid for his car.
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
          I'm pretty sure he was looking at a parts car for $300 to source the glass that his Commander needs. He didn't say how much he paid for his car.
          Well...fighting the early stages of a sore throat,(crud), etc. Didn't sleep well, up since 3:45 AM, and swilling hot coffee...I hope you folks can forgive me if I have a little more than my usual lapse in reading comprehension. If a license was required to post on the forum...I'd never pass the test.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Nt $300 for this one.

The $300 was the parts car that was sold between the time I bought this one and checked again.
            I wish it had been $300 but it was 2K. I still think it was a steal.

Thanks for the advice about the local SDC chapter. I will ferret them out.

Comment

The flat glass can be replaced by a local auto glass shop. Check the cost of that while searching.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by swaim View Post
                The $300 was the parts car that was sold between the time I bought this one and checked again.
                I wish it had been $300 but it was 2K. I still think it was a steal.

Thanks for the advice about the local SDC chapter. I will ferret them out.
                Yes, you did well. I went back and enlarged the picture and it looks more like a Commander than a Land Cruiser. I know that pictures tend to make cars look better than they really are, but this one looks like the body is straight and it has paint all over it. That is always a plus. Many of these cars are not only missing paint, but two or three inches of the lower sheet metal.

All of them are reaching the age that the old cloth-covered original wiring needs replacing. If yours still has the original wires, do yourself a favor and replace the harness.

If you are not familiar with the Studebaker Drivers Club and its award-winning Turning Wheels magazine, you are in for a real treat. Your first year membership is at a discounted price. The monthly magazine is worth the price of membership. Hopefully, others with a better mental acuity than I have today, will chime in with some helpful suggestions. Don't be shy about asking questions.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Yes, you did well. I went back and enlarged the picture and it looks more like a Commander than a Land Cruiser. I know that pictures tend to make cars look better than they really are, but this one looks like the body is straight and it has paint all over it. That is always a plus. Many of these cars are not only missing paint, but two or three inches of the lower sheet metal.
                  Actually the Land Cruiser is a Commander, but it is on a longer wheelbase and usually is a bit better appointed than the regular Commander 4 door sedan. Either one would be a fine car.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

I owned and drove a 1951 Commander four door for many years. It was a 3 speed with od. The car went down the highway well and could stay with traffic on the interstate. It appears to be the same color as your car, which is Reo Green (look for a sticker on the underside of the glovebox which gives the color). The chrome was so-so and I managed to find better pieces, some NOS, over the years. Studebaker sold a fair amount of cars in 1951 so the parts are out there.

Post a few more photos when you get a chance.

You did well, have fun!
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Flat glass vent and door windows can be replaced by any auto glass company.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

So I'm a newbie to Studebaker retoration and Just today I had a 1951 V8 Champion coupe delivered to My shop. Check out the pics in My profile. I'm in Sedro Woolley Washington State and up untill today have alway's been a Die Hard Mid 50's Ford guy. I'm kind of on the fence about how I am going to proceed with My Champion. First I have to get some new rubber on the rims so I can better move it around to work on. Any input from Washington State Studebaker guys would be apreaciated
                        Patrick Sammon

Comment

Welcome, Patrick!
                          The Champion would be a flat head six, 170 cid. The '51 Stude V-8 was the first year, replacing the '50 Commander 245 Flat head. Assuming yours has a V-8 and Champion script, the driveline has probably been replaced. There's a body tag under the hood on the firewall (passenger side). What does it say? Can you find an engine number? It would be stamped in to a boss on the block next to the distributor if the V-8 is 1951 or 1952, in the opposite left front boss if it is 1953 or later.
                          New sneakers are good. Do remember, it is better to have a car with no go than a car with no whoa. Make certain you have brakes before transferring power to the axles.
                          You've come to the right place and, you've found the right Studebaker.

Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Patrick, the car in your profile, based upon the dashboard is a Commander. The Champion had all the gages in one oblong pod, not three rings, one for speedo, one for clock and one for 4 gages, as yours appears to have.

Comment

Effiedude Looking at your pictures your car has the 51 commander dash. The only place that the commander script is on the body is on the drivers side of the hood. DougM on the Alabama Gulf Coast

Comment

Working...
                              X