PDA

View Full Version : Paint: 62 289 paint

3rdGenStude
02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
I've been through 9 pages of search results and officially give up on the search. I've not found any regarding 1962 engine colors.

My engine is the correct original 289 according to the build sheet: P83389.

The block, heads, and pan are red. Yellow valve covers. The oil fill tube appears to be bare aluminum. So far so good, right?

But it appears the intake manifold and valley cover are black. Is this correct?

Also, the PO took out the fan and shroud and replaced it with an electric cooling fan. If I can find the parts this summer at South Bend, what color was the original fan in 1962?

Paul

41 Frank
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Block, heads and pan are supposed to be black as well as oil fill. Valve covers yellow. Fan blade should be Chevy engine orange, pulleys black. Intake and valley cover should stay black also.

I've been through 9 pages of search results and officially give up on the search. I've not found any regarding 1962 engine colors.

My engine is the correct original 289 according to the build sheet: P83389.

The block, heads, and pan are red. Yellow valve covers. The oil fill tube appears to be bare aluminum. So far so good, right?

But it appears the intake manifold and valley cover are black. Is this correct?

Also, the PO took out the fan and shroud and replaced it with an electric cooling fan. If I can find the parts this summer at South Bend, what color was the original fan in 1962?

Paul

candbstudebakers
02-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Block, heads and pan are supposed to be black as well as oil fill. Valve covers yellow. Fan blade should be Chevy engine orange, pulleys black. Intake and valley cover should stay black also.

And early 62's should have plane valve covers with out oil filler holes and only 2 support bolt holes, timing cover should also be black, and exhaust manifolds rusty brown , air cleaner black also not much left to paint now.