PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: What the heck? (T-90)

Ron Dame
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I rebuilt the T-90 in my Champ when I rebuilt the engine. The trans got new bearings, layshaft, 1st gear, syncro assembly (not just the bronze cones)..it's new inside.

back in December when I last drove it, we had some really cold weather (haven't had any since) and it shifted like the thing was full of molasses..and it was Ford tractor oil, so it was.

Several suggested switching to a multi-vis, yellow metal safe gear oil, including Pennzoil syncromesh oil. Sometime in January when I had 10 minutes, I made the switch, but have not had a chance to drive it until today. Now i crunch both 2nd and 3rd gears when shifting. The clutch is adjusted and does not seem to drag, I can leave the trans in neutral for a few moments, push the clutch in and shift into first immediately without crashing the gears.

So what the heck?

SN-60
02-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Oit in trans still to heavy for cold weather operation. Try 40W engine oil.

Ron Dame
02-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Not at 55F today, it wasn't.

Oit in trans still to heavy for cold weather operation. Try 40W engine oil.

Chucks Stude
02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Sounds too thin? Could it be so thin that it is letting the gear cluster spin too much when the clutch is engaged. Also, is it possible the oil does not have the cushioning effect of the old gear oil? Just some thoughts.

SN-60
02-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Drain it out again................Refill with 40W engine oil. You will smile!

StudeRich
02-23-2012, 02:40 AM
What GL rating is that Penzoil cr*p? I'll bet it is GL-5 instead of GL-1, I have never heard of Penzoil making GL-1, which is not in combination with ANY other spec.

Ron Dame
02-23-2012, 07:02 AM
I'll have to go get the bottle out to check the GL rating, viscosity was 80W 90 or 80W 95...something like that. Even though I forgot teh GL rating, it is yellow metal safe (so they say) and designed for transmissions.

Funny thing is, before I rebuilt the trans, I used the Ford tractor oil, and it was OK, winter or summer. But it popped out of 2nd on decell because of a bad syncro hub. Since rebuild, with teh Ford oil it is almost impossible to shift when it is cold, and occasionally crashes 2nd until warmed up. That's bad enough. The Pennzoil makes it crash constantly, cold or warm.

What GL rating is that Penzoil cr*p? I'll bet it is GL-5 instead of GL-1, I have never heard of Penzoil making GL-1, which is not in combination with ANY other spec.

tbirdtbird
02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
But it popped out of 2nd on decell because of a bad syncro hub.
Ron, or anyone, I have a T-90 doing the exact same thing, can you elaborate or send me a PM?

Ron Dame
02-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Well I still don't know, but here's a bit of instant reseacr on the subejct..basically you are right, this stuff isn't right for our cars and trucks

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Synchromesh%20Manual%20Trans%20Fluid.pdf

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1187203

And there are others.. Oh well, time to go to Plan C,D, or F.....

Ron Dame
02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I was too short in my description, and was sort of inaccurate because of it. The hub was OK

More exactly, the sleeve on the syncro was worn..the teeth were pretty well worn, and the teeth on 2nd gear were the same. I also replaced 2nd gear.

That's only on possible cause, and somewhat low on the list of potential causes. #1 is an incorrect shifter adjustment or worn shifter bushings or other parts, followed by bad engine or transmission mount.Other causes include a weak detent spring, bellhousing misalignment, ( happens if someone swapped engines and/or bellhousings without aligning them) worn trans bearings...wear on the shifter forks...lots of reasons.

But it popped out of 2nd on decell because of a bad syncro hub.
Ron, or anyone, I have a T-90 doing the exact same thing, can you elaborate or send me a PM?