Back at it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back at it!

Got home from South Bend on Tuesday night. Next day was spent mowing some of the tall grass that inexplicably sprang up while I was away. Thursday I returned Jim McIndoe's '51 business coupe to his home, and did some shopping in Calgary.

Friday was another lawnmower/weed whacker day, and the occupied half of the yard now looks pretty good.

Today (Saturday), I fired up the tractor and pulled my Hawk>coupe project car out of the shop. Since I had the tractor already running, I used the loader to haul a bunch more gravel into the shop to make a base for the concrete floor to come, and got rid of a small gravel pile in the process.

Once I'd tired of spreading gravel. I parked the tractor, and commenced working on the Hawk body. I'm now finished welding the floor pan on the passenger side. Cut out several large rectangles of "lacy" floor pan, and then welded in patches cut from a floor pan salvaged from a bad 2R truck cab. I was able to match contours and the pressed-in stiffening ribs pretty nicely. The finished floor on the passenger side now feels real solid, and does not oilcan when I stand on it.

Tomorrow, I will start on the driver's side. The floor rust there is less severe, and I expect that less time and metal will be required to make it sound again. Once that's done, the doors may well be next.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Gord,

I never thought that you would need to deal with grass. Oversize bugs and a thawing tundra perhaps, but never grass. Please don't tell me there may even be snakes lurking about....

Gary

Comment

Gord,

I never thought that you would need to deal with grass. Oversize bugs and a thawing tundra perhaps, but never grass. Please don't tell me there may even be snakes lurking about....

Gary

Comment

Gary, as far as I know, no snakes right around here, although there might be garter snakes. Alberta does have rattlesnakes in some of the southerly river valleys. There's even cactus!

Comment

Gary, as far as I know, no snakes right around here, although there might be garter snakes. Alberta does have rattlesnakes in some of the southerly river valleys. There's even cactus!

Comment

Gord, did you get my e-mail?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Gord, did you get my e-mail?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Say Gord.... Thanks for your kind gesture and the pleasure of visiting with you thru the week. What a fabulous clan we're a part of, eh?

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Say Gord.... Thanks for your kind gesture and the pleasure of visiting with you thru the week. What a fabulous clan we're a part of, eh?

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good to meet you Gord. I still get tired when I read your posts of what you do in a day <G>.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Good to meet you Gord. I still get tired when I read your posts of what you do in a day <G>.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Update; with pictures.

Yesterday and today were spent welding on the driver's side of the floor. I can now say that I am done welding on the floor patches. WooHoo! Overall, the driver's side turned out better than the passenger side. I'm going to trowel some kitty-hair fiberglass into the depressed ribs and valleys on the floor, and over a couple of pinholed areas. I figure this help make the floor watertight, add some sound deadening, and provide an even surface for the underlay and carpets. I'll POR-15 the underside, and then slather some fiber-tar roofing compound over the weld seams on the bottom side, to both hide them and seal them against road splash.

I noticed something kind of puzzling today. On both sides of the frame, about even with the front end of the rear footwells, there was a metal and a rubber body shim simply fastened to the frame rail with masking tape. About 2" back of this stack was an unused 3/8"-24 tapped hole in the frame rail, which I uncovered when replacing rusted floor metal. So I simply drilled 1/2" holes in the new floor patches, moved the shim stacks back about 2", and installed another body bolt. As far as I can see, the only drawback to doing this might be that it creates a lump in the carpet adjacent to the footwell. I will replace the standard capscrews with Allen-head flathead screws and dimpled washers; that should eliminate any carpet lumps.

I also welded up some gaps where the cowl panel meets the door pillars, and welded up the joints in the front corners of the drip rails, too. Aside from a few other little enhancements of that nature, and some very minor rust around the two body mount bolts on the trunk, I'm about done with welding on the main body coach of the car. Doors, quarters, front clip, and hood and trunk are still on the to-do list.

I took down some old photos, and added some new ones at:
                        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Update; with pictures.

Yesterday and today were spent welding on the driver's side of the floor. I can now say that I am done welding on the floor patches. WooHoo! Overall, the driver's side turned out better than the passenger side. I'm going to trowel some kitty-hair fiberglass into the depressed ribs and valleys on the floor, and over a couple of pinholed areas. I figure this help make the floor watertight, add some sound deadening, and provide an even surface for the underlay and carpets. I'll POR-15 the underside, and then slather some fiber-tar roofing compound over the weld seams on the bottom side, to both hide them and seal them against road splash.

I noticed something kind of puzzling today. On both sides of the frame, about even with the front end of the rear footwells, there was a metal and a rubber body shim simply fastened to the frame rail with masking tape. About 2" back of this stack was an unused 3/8"-24 tapped hole in the frame rail, which I uncovered when replacing rusted floor metal. So I simply drilled 1/2" holes in the new floor patches, moved the shim stacks back about 2", and installed another body bolt. As far as I can see, the only drawback to doing this might be that it creates a lump in the carpet adjacent to the footwell. I will replace the standard capscrews with Allen-head flathead screws and dimpled washers; that should eliminate any carpet lumps.

I also welded up some gaps where the cowl panel meets the door pillars, and welded up the joints in the front corners of the drip rails, too. Aside from a few other little enhancements of that nature, and some very minor rust around the two body mount bolts on the trunk, I'm about done with welding on the main body coach of the car. Doors, quarters, front clip, and hood and trunk are still on the to-do list.

I took down some old photos, and added some new ones at:
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Nice work, Gord!

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice work, Gord!

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X