need amazon clutch advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need amazon clutch advice

No, I am not going to drive into the jungle in my stude. I have a work bonus that was given to me for several hundreds of dollars in amazon dot calm gift certificates. Seeing as how most stude venders don't like to get paid in gift certificates I wanted to see what I could get that was stude related on amazon. (not much so far)
    I have a 64 gt hawk 4sp R1 that I like to drive fast. What clutch would you think is the best for my (T10?) tranny? I know that summit and others sell the clutches thru amazon. I also know that other makes used the same tranny so I would think there would be some cross-over. If I get this thru them then I will be able to free up CASH for other goodies from my favorite stude parts people.
    After a 4 year dormant period the cover is off the Hawk and I hope to be ready for spring, R

next time I am going to ask about rear springs. re-arch or new springs? what is better?
    64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
    Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

IF they have something OTHER than a "Zoom" Brand or other off-shore or Chinese parts you COULD get very lucky and find a decent one. Try one for a 1963 426 Hemi Dodge, or 1963 409 Chevy. They should fit the same and have a bit more Pressure Plate PSI.

Some posters here, have liked the rearched rear springs with a extra 2nd. leave added.
    Usually NEW is far better.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by am not r2 View Post
      No, I am not going to drive into the jungle in my stude. I have a work bonus that was given to me for several hundreds of dollars in amazon dot calm gift certificates. Seeing as how most stude venders don't like to get paid in gift certificates I wanted to see what I could get that was stude related on amazon. (not much so far)
      I have a 64 gt hawk 4sp R1 that I like to drive fast. What clutch would you think is the best for my (T10?) tranny? I know that summit and others sell the clutches thru amazon. I also know that other makes used the same tranny so I would think there would be some cross-over. If I get this thru them then I will be able to free up CASH for other goodies from my favorite stude parts people.
      After a 4 year dormant period the cover is off the Hawk and I hope to be ready for spring, R
      next time I am going to ask about rear springs. re-arch or new springs? what is better?
      I never thought of buying clutches through Amazon but went and looked and you sure can. I'm a fan of Centerforce but you will need to get a part # you can use.

As far as springs, I buy mine locally through a local truck supply house. They can find Studebaker/Avanti listings if they care enough. Delivery cost is low and the pricing is quite reasonable.

Bob

Comment

Yes, get a Centerforce, or a diaphragm type pressure plate. Do NOT use a high pressure plate from a 60's old school muscle car...You will only curse it, break linkage, and it wont hold as good as the newer design.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The Centerforce clutch number is DF271739. I believe it is a huge improvement over the stock clutch. You have to grind off the humps on the inside of the bellhousing (and probably cover the resulting holes with a couple of small plates of sheet metal, mounted with screws). Also, I remove the metal ring with the centrifugal weights as these can "click" and they only add about 10% clamping pressure, which is unnecessary for the Stude application anyway.

John
          John
          1953 Commander Coupe
          1954 Champion Sedan
          1963 Lark

Comment

Working...
          X