Searching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching

I am a new 56j owner and SDC member. I bought a doeskin/mocha, but I am searching for one (the same) that my Dad had & sold in 1961, after it threw a rod...he sold it to a garage owner in Bluefield, West Virginia...My Dad's name was Robley D. McCutcheon...he was the second owner--the first had it titled in Virginia...I have contacted the WV DMV without success...I'm wondering if anyone of you would happen to have any information on this car...I do not have the vin#, and it is a difficult search--"clutching at straws"...
    Thanks for reading this.
    Marie Mac

Start here:

Maintain production records,track the remaining 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawks, help owners maintain or restore their cars, help prospective owners make an intelligent purchase.

Then send Frank an e-mail.

Craig

Comment

I have been in touch with Frank and he is helping, but I lack the vin#...just taking a slim chance that someone will read this & know something.
      Thanks,
      Marie Mac

Comment

Welcome to the forum and I hope you can find your Dads old car. Always nice to meet a fellow "Mac"...
        Just curious where you found a "NEW" 56j...? JK.
        If there is help to be found, this would be the place.

Comment

Sorry...I'm a new owner of a vintage 56j--the car is not new.
          Marie Mac

Comment

Well, the snow is melted enough that I was able to take my first drive in my "NEW" vintage 56j...I love it!...I'm having a little trouble shifting into 3rd, though--any suggestions?...does it have to do with the overdrive?
            I'm sure I'll have other questions as I go along...glad to have this forum to rely on...
            Thanks,
            MarieMac

Comment

PS...kmac530...which kind of Mac are you? (I was a McCutcheon, as you know)

Comment

As far as shifting woes go, it can be a matter of adjustment of the shift linkage - it can be the result of deteriorated motor/trans mounts - or it can be something amiss in the tranny itself. Adjusting ther linkages would be the first thing to look at.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Mac View Post
                  I am a new 56j owner and SDC member. I bought a doeskin/mocha, but I am searching for one (the same) that my Dad had & sold in 1961, after it threw a rod...he sold it to a garage owner in Bluefield, West Virginia...My Dad's name was Robley D. McCutcheon...he was the second owner--the first had it titled in Virginia...I have contacted the WV DMV without success...I'm wondering if anyone of you would happen to have any information on this car...I do not have the vin#, and it is a difficult search--"clutching at straws"...
                  Thanks for reading this.
                  Marie Mac
                  WELCOME...to the SDC Forum!!!

Does your NEW Vintage 56J have the original type column shift ...or was it at some point converted to a floor shift? TIA

Comment

Original column shift with overdrive...
                    MM

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Mac View Post
                      I have been in touch with Frank and he is helping, but I lack the vin#...just taking a slim chance that someone will read this & know something
                      One area where Frank is VERY helpful is if you can supply him with as much info as you can from as how you remember seeing it before your dad sold it. Exterior and interior colors, where it was sold new, and where your dad lived if it was not the same location. Also 'small things' that you may remember such as if the interior was vinyl or cloth & vinyl, and options such as power windows, etc. That will narrow down your search.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X