1902-03 Studebaker electric runabout.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1902-03 Studebaker electric runabout.

And you think You need a shrink, Mr. Webb???

Ok. I'd like any and all opinions on this, so don't be shy. I would like to build a running replica of this car. I've about exhausted the web for pictures, drawings and print-ads. Mr. Beckman has helped me with somethings that the Studebaker Museum may have, and so now, I'm asking for you folks out there that may have buggys, insight into "transitional" engineering (wagons to horseless carriage) or just opinions.

I have pictures of a nice replica that was in Phenoix (I think) but, I've become interested in the way Studebaker may have actually made it.

What was the wheel size and width (both wire and wood spoke)? What do you think the wheel base was-spindel to rear axle hub? How long and wide do you think the body was, seat width and hight? Spring length and leaf count, tube frame? Etc., etc., etc.

I've been following Bellingham Studenuts' restoration of the model 25 wagon and would like to THANK him for saving this piece of history.

Let the fun begin!

I visited an attraction when I was at the Glendale International. It was Don Robertson's Gold King Mine, in Jerome AZ. Mr R is a vehicle collector, amongst many many many things he collects. (many of the things work after a fashion, or could be restored maybe, but it isn't a Harrah's Museum type of place) Although he has some notable rarities, they are more likely to be a Zip Van, a working Jeep FC-170, a Federal 10 ton truck, a Nash wrecker, a Studebaker electric than a Pierce-Arrow or Hispano-Suisa) He has a 1902 Studebaker electric and there was a sign with a writeup about it. It is an original, not a replica, ISTR. There was something about it being one of two known electrics....

Comment

Originally posted by wmsteve View Post
      I have pictures of a nice replica that was in Phenoix (I think) but, I've become interested in the way Studebaker may have actually made it.
      Is this the one you're thinking of?

Craig

Comment

I think Carol Studebakers family still owns his early 1900 Studebaker electric , maybe they could help you.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

A couple of Carrol Studebaker's electrics are pictured here:

Craig

Comment

I am not sure of the exact details you are looking for. I think the late Carroll Studebaker had an electric. If someone knows where it is, perhaps you can communicate with the current owner and get pictures and specs. In 2009, I snapped this picture at the SNM. Is this one still there? Is it the model you are looking for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	southbend 5-2-09 038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1671955
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Name:	DSCF0470.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1671958Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0468.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1671957

here's a '03 Stude electric that was shown last spring here in NC. there was some question if it was indeed a Studebaker.
              looks pretty darn close to the pic Mr. C posted.
              can anyone confirm or deny?
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

8E45E, yes thats the replica from AZ! jclary, thanks for the great picture but, I don't have enough life left to build that one! Here are the most common net pics of what I would like to replicate:

Name:	02elec.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1671959 Click image for larger version

Name:	1903 stude.jpg
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1671960 Click image for larger version

Name:	StudebakerElectricAutomobiles-1902A.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1671961

Comment

Do'nt know the details,but my Grandfather had one.I would have to guess that would have been about 1924,25
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

8E45E, yes thats the replica from AZ! jclary, thanks for the great picture but, I don't have enough life left to build that one! Here are the most common net pics of what I would like to replicate:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]13853[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13854[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13855[/ATTACH]
                    Now that I have a grasp of what you are wanting to do, I see some possibilities. A powerful and aggressive vehicle with practical performance might be to use an electric golf cart motor. The batteries could be placed behind the seat. I have a couple of carts I have put off taking to the scrap yard. The motors on mine are driven through a gear drive connected directly to an automotive type hogs head transaxle. If you adapted the motor to be mounted under the seat with a sprocket style chain drive, you could closely duplicate the look and appearance of the original Studebaker.

A more delicate, light weight option would be to use an electric wheel chair or handicap scooter power train. That could give you a more compact power unit, but it would lack the power, range, and speed of the golf cart motor. I hope you build it. If you do...it will be fun to follow your progress.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hey Craig (8E45E), You posted this great picture of the replica; Is this your' car? Am I mistaken that it comes from AZ? I would really love to talk with whoever built it to get there insight!
                      Do you know who did? It's my insperation to make another one...

Thanks

Comment

And you think You need a shrink, Mr. Webb???

Ok. I'd like any and all opinions on this, so don't be shy. I would like to build a running replica of this car. I've about exhausted the web for pictures, drawings and print-ads. Mr. Beckman has helped me with somethings that the Studebaker Museum may have, and so now, I'm asking for you folks out there that may have buggys, insight into "transitional" engineering (wagons to horseless carriage) or just opinions.

What was the wheel size and width (both wire and wood spoke)? What do you think the wheel base was-spindel to rear axle hub? How long and wide do you think the body was, seat width and hight? Spring length and leaf count, tube frame? Etc., etc., etc.

I've been following Bellingham Studenuts' restoration of the model 25 wagon and would like to THANK him for saving this piece of history.

Let the fun begin!
                        The vehicle you have expressed an interest in and Craig showed a replica of, is based on a Piano Box body Buggy. From there the similarity ends. The replica has the wrong type of springs, seat, and I suspect the frame as well. The illustrated vehicle seems to have some kind of tubular frame. Also notice the springs, they're half-eliptic with rather elaborate hanger straps. The illustrated seat is either a half with suspended back rest or stick-seat also with a suspended back rest.

The suggestion of using a golf-cart motor sounds like a good one to me. The chain drive is going to be a bugger though. The reason is the suspension. As the vehicle moves up and down with the terrain, the chain will tighten and slacken. You will need an idler cog to adjust the tension of the chain as these changes in length take place.

A (full sized) horse buggy axle averaged sixty-five inches from wheel nut to wheel nut. The buggy has a fifth-wheel on the front axle attached to a reach which secures the rear axle rigidly. The arangement for and including this fifth-wheel adds four inches to the height of the axle. Hence a difference in size between the front wheels and rear. Yours will not have the same arrangement (as the Buggy) since the front axle will have king pins and axle-stubs with no reach and the rear will of course be a drive axle. The illustrated electric also seems to have some kind of tubular frame mounted directly to the body of the vehicle.

Thus, even though yours looks a lot like a Buggy, appearance is where the similarity ends. In reality, the Studebaker Bros. used components of their Horse-drawn vehicles and conformed the vehicle in a familiar way, so as to attract buyers. All the same, they were ahead of the game in that their Automatic-Motive vehicle was far advanced of the average vehicles of the day. Still, notice the small size of the vehicles illustrated in this thread. Most of them were really just toys for the rich. People didn't take these Auto-motive vehicles seriously till the Tin Lizzie proved they could be produced cheaply enough for the average person to afford. It's too bad that Studebaker came into the Auto-motive field so reluctantly. With their capability for production, they could have buried Ford, General Motors, Dodge Bros. and Chrysler early on. As it is; the management seems to only have played at it.
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have two (kind of) hard facts: women averaged 5' tall and men were 5' 8" tall. The tire size was 30" x 3 1/2" or 30" x 4". Both might help in scaling-up ads and drawings?

Here is a Centaur Motor Vehicle Co. Buffalo, NY car, produced in 1901-02. Did Studebaker buy them to get into the car biz- "history mystery"? The front spring pearches seem to be a Studebaker feature only, from this time period.

Name:	1901 Centaur runabout.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1671983

Name:	1902 Centaur, Centaur Motor Vehicle Co. Buffalo,NY.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1671984Also, here is a picture of a 1905 Stude electric being driven on the boardwalk test track on-top-of a building in South Bend. Click image for larger version

Name:	elec_bdwalk.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1671985

Comment

I guess I'm the only one interested in the first Stude? It's OK.

Here is how Mr. Loewy wanted my '53 to look like though...

Name:	5146177271_6c82c753ea_z.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1671991 I'll bet he battled with Bob Bourke the whole time!?!? And here is one from Sweden that I'll bet Loewy had-a-hand in! Click image for larger version

Name:	SwED3qac.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1671992

Comment

1902 Studebaker Electric

Name:	1902studebker.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1695649Here is a picture of the 1902 Studebaker Electric that was at the 1980 SDC International Meet in Gettysburg, PA. It had not run in quite a long time. A friend, Dave Crone and I got it running for the owner, Ron Zimmerman. We drove it around his farm and then again at the meet the next day. What a blast we had. Dave and I did a story on the electrics. It is in the September 1981 SDC Turning Wheels. I will be glad to copy the article if anyone wants it. the car was sold for around $16,000 and went to England. I then lost track of it.
                              Last edited by sanjim76; 02-24-2015, 11:55 AM. Reason: Ad picture

Comment

Working...
                              X