Wagonaire 3...Trim on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire 3...Trim on

I mentioned in an earlier post that I wanted to get the trim on the car as one of the first steps in order to avoid damaging it in the shop.

I cleaned and polished the stainless, and decided to paint the anodized aluminum trim with Eastwood's Aluma Blast paint. Other silvers I tried were too glossy or too "silver". Aluma Blast has a little gold in it and is semi flat, which looked close to the original anodizing. I had a couple of fair, stock 63 wheel covers kicking around to make it look more "finished" in the pictures.

New "Daytona" emblems. I polished the lower "lip" on the aluminum to help "frame" it with the stainless trim above.

Being a CASO, I refinished the grill emblem rather than buying a new one.

Also in the CASO category is the outside mirror. There was no mirror on the PO so I assume the delivering dealer installed one or the original owner did. My 14,000 mile 62 Lark had a non Studebaker mirror so I felt OK doing the same with this car. The mirror for a similar vintage Ford on eBay is $18 vs $75 for a repoped Stude mirror.

It's a high quality mirror and looks just right on the car.

Now on to sub projects that are less showy (and probably less satisfying).
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick, the wagon is looking great!
    Dave Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
    1925 ER Tourer
    1925 Panel Delivery
    1953 Champion Sedan
    1957 Golden Hawk
    1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Looking good Dick. Your fix for the aluminum trim looks spot on.

Comment

Dick, it looks great, but I must caution you, many more of those CASO moments might get you ostracized from the forum.

Comment

Very, very nice Dick. I need to get to work on my Lark. I seem to be falling behind!!
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
            Dick, it looks great, but I must caution you, many more of those CASO moments might get you ostracized from the forum.
            Thanks Dave, Matt and Jamie.

And @ Ron.

I think A reason that many of us are attracted to Studebakers is that they are less expensive to purchase and to buy parts for than many similar vintage vehicles.

For example, I REALLY like Nova and Chevelle wagons, but there is no way I could "do" one of those for the same money that I will have in this Wagonaire. Part of that is the screamin' deal that Pat offered us on this car, but that screamin' deal would never exist on a Nova or Chevelle.

I sold this Avanti for $12k...

A similar Corvette would be $35-50k.

Many of us would not be in the collector car hobby if it wasn't for Studebaker.

Also, there are probably several definitions for CASO. For me, it is the game of networking for cars and parts in order to keep the investment to a minimum and still end up with a nice vehicle when finished. I've given two examples in my initial post above. IMHO they do nothing to "cheapen" the car, but enable me to spend money on other things that add value. I have owned 29 Studes since 2005 and have not lost money on one of them. If I wasn't a CASO and watched every dime, this hobby would have ended for me a long time ago.

Speaking of which, I was out chasing around with a buddy in South Tacoma yesterday. We popped into a used tire store, and they had 4 matching, near new 205 75 15 white walls for $100. I snapped them up for the Wagonaire. I cleaned them up today and they look like new. I could have paid $400 plus for the same from a traditional tire store. I like being a CASO!
            Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Personally, I think "CASO" is a badge of honor

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice work if you can get it...you can get it if you try {:= )
                JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Showbiz, I think you are on to something. The museum or one of the vendors needs to offer a badge: PROUD TO BE A CASO, or something similar.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Dick, that wagon looks soooo good. The work on the stainless looks great. I am very jealous.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hurry and finish then you can come down and get the 63 Rose Mist cruiser since so many are against the Rose Mist color and the 4 door.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        Dick, that wagon looks soooo good. The work on the stainless looks great.
                        Thanks, Joe.

The stainless is not up to Burnette quality, but probably better than Studebaker did.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          Hurry and finish then you can come down and get the 63 Rose Mist cruiser since so many are against the Rose Mist color and the 4 door.
                          I think many are "against" quite a few things. . It's much easier than being "for" something.

I love Rose Mist...especially on a Cruiser.

I'll be down in a couple of weeks. If it is still available, I want to see it.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                            Thanks, Joe.

The stainless is not up to Burnette quality, but probably better than Studebaker did.
                            Hey, it's shiny and straight! That's all that they pay me to do.

Comment

Thank you Dick S. I appreciate your explaination of CASO and agree with you. If I wasnot a CASO I would never get to go to the IM's. It would also have meant that I would not have met you and shared a room at the 2007 SB meet. I am proud to be considered a CASO. In sharing a Room with somebody I get to know people from all over.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Working...
                              X