Help with Lug nuts - Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Help with Lug nuts - Please

I'm so confused. I have a 62 Lark with a Ford rear end that I just installed. I will be using Studebaker wheels. Reading forum posts, it is suggested that I should use Studebaker lug nuts rather than the Ford. I tried SI's website, but they do not have a lug nut listed for a 62. I searched the internet (Ebay, Rock Auto, Autozone) and came up with some numbers but I'm still confused. According to the posts I've read, the taper on the nuts is different for a Ford and Studebaker, so I want to get the right ones. Autozone shows a part number 611-027.1 but it shows this number for both the Ford and the Studebaker which would indicate it is the same. Same for Rock Auto. Any help?

I dont know why you could not find one that fits and just use it. The thread size and pitch being the first key of course. Then the only other real factor is seat taper which sounds like the part you are concerned with. There are generally only 2 tapers used {not exclusively, but for most applications}, there is 60* and 45* and that is an easy thing to check. Any angle gauge can help determine that. MOST cars are 60*.
    The alarmist, purist will yell "NO", but any with the correct thread size and pitch and seat taper will work fine. Since most are 60* and the 45* are obviously different looking and mostly on some trucks and some racecars then you are likely fine.
    Do you have some lugs off of the ford rear and some off of the Stude fronts to compare? Seats taper do not change in tiny incriments like 5*, so it will be pretty obvious.

Comment

So are Stude lug nuts 60*? if so, then I'm good. They 60* Ford look pretty much the same as the stock stude. I dont see any obvious difference. The Stude lug nut seems a like it has a little longer taper as it extends a little bit beyond the inside of the hole when you lay it on, whereas the Ford lug nut sits about flush (when viewed from the backside of the wheel). Sounds like it should be fine. I can't just use the old Stude lug nuts because on the drivers side I had LH lug nuts. The Ford rear end of course has typical RH nuts, so I bought new Ford lug nuts from NAPA and that's what I'm comparing the Stude ones to.

Comment

I do not have a spec in front of me saying whether the Stude is for sure 60*. If the look to be the same angle, then they are, 60* and 45* are visibly quite different and obvious. You will be fine.
        I check with a Dorman distributor and they insist that the Stude and ford lugs are interchangeable. I trust my AP shop.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          I do not have a spec in front of me saying whether the Stude is for sure 60*. If the look to be the same angle, then they are, 60* and 45* are visibly quite different and obvious. You will be fine.
          I check with a Dorman distributor and they insist that the Stude and ford lugs are interchangeable. I trust my AP shop.
          Good enough for me.. Thanks

Comment

Comment

Well SI does carry them. They are in their catalog so I'm going to order some. For what it's worth, I put some black latex paint on the wheel holes to see where they nuts were contacting. Tey contact high up on the hole. It still looks like they are the same angle, but that the Ford lug nut is a little wider so it sits higher in the hole.

Comment

Dougie,
                If you want to verify Tom's comments, you can take a business card, any ordinary business card, and hold it in the wheel lug opening. It should touch the whole contact area of the bevel with the card. It should do the same on the other rim you had off of the ford rear end, if you have any of the ford wheels that is.

Comment

Working...
                X