PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Help

61LaRk4dr
06-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Hello,

I am seeking some help on installing the telescopic antenna for 1955 and newer vehicles on my 1961 lark. I thought it would be as simple as sliding it up inside the cab into the cavity. As would figure the antenna seems to be to tall to allow such an easy installation. I checked several times to make sure the antenna was all the way down to. Any ideas?

Thank you

rockne10
06-30-2007, 07:52 PM
More info needed. Can you get the antenna through the fender? Not get the reel in to the cowl? Is the hole through the fender and cowl the correct size?

61LaRk4dr
07-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Can't get antenna through the fender as it seems the inner fender is not removable. Not sure what you mean by the hole in the fender and cowl being the correct size.

StudeRich
07-01-2007, 05:07 PM
So tell us, is this '61 Lark factory or dealer drilled through the inboard rear corner of the left front fender AND through the cowl under it so that a factory manual antenna was in the driver door post at one time?

And, are you installing a inside adjustable crank-up type Studebaker antenna or manual (outside) telescoping one?

If it is too tall, it could be for a Hawk?

Also, did you know that most Stude. antennas telescope ALL sections, maybe you have not forced the outer largest dia. section all the way down!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

61LaRk4dr
07-02-2007, 03:52 AM
Originally, the car came with the manual antenna (which was quite a challenge in itself to remove). I am now wanting to install the inside adjustable crank type.

I will check one more time to see if one of the telescoping parts is just not down all the way.

Kdancy
05-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I am trying to install a new antenna in a 63 Lark. The Stude Internationl one won't work because of the inner fender, too deep for the for the threaded portion of the antenna base to allow the top nut to screw down. Seems the standard replacements have about 1" distance between the swinging locks up to the end of the threaded top portion. Looks to me like I need at least 1.5" to be able to screw the nut down on the base. There is not enough room between the fender and inner fender to "swinging locks" to go between them, so looks like the need to go below the inner fender thus shortening the length of the threaded portion sticking above the fender top. Make sense?
Any ideas on new antenna?

N8N
05-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I'd just keep an eye out for a used original antenna, they do pop up every now and then. you are correct about the new antennas and I'm not aware of any at all that fit easily, unless you drill out the hole in the inner fender larger which is not easy to accomplish and then makes fitting a factory antenna in the future impossible.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Dwain G.
05-23-2008, 06:26 PM
If the antenna you removed was in the recommended position, the center of the hole in the left front fender would be about 1 1/4" forward of the rear edge of the fender. A copy of the original installation instructions with templates is available from Dave Mottle (see Turning Wheels). It should come with some supplemental instructions for exactly what you're doing, i.e., replacing a manual antenna with a roll-up.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.