PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: A suggestion when you're doing brake work

tomnoller
02-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Working on going through the brakes of my 63 project Avanti and since everything is apart, I decided to pull the axle shafts and replace the seal & repack the bearings on each side.
Glad I did! Right side was fine, but the left shaft's bearing was bone dry and the cup was scored. I wouldn't have gotten far had I not gone the extra step.
Will stop by the parts store for a new bearing and race, then let the machine shop press it on.
Ben Franklin was right about that ounce of prevention thing.

Bud
02-18-2012, 05:53 PM
The rear axle bearings are NOT pressed on, they will only go so far on the end of the axle. They are also removeable without a press. Be sure that you are accurate with the end play of the axles as they are adjusted with shims on the right side flange, the end play is critical to the longevity of the bearings. Bud

christophe
02-20-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm currently doing the same job. As everything is dismantled, I'll take the time to add grease fittings. Maybe, in hundred years, the current owner will thank me.
Nice day to all.

r1lark
02-20-2012, 09:20 PM
"The rear axle bearings are NOT pressed on, they will only go so far on the end of the axle. They are also removeable without a press."

Well, I'm confused (what else is new, huh........<G>)! Are we talking tapered axles here, or flanged? Because none of the tapered axles that I've replaced bearings on would have come off without using a press, or would have went back on without the press either.

sweetolbob
02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
"The rear axle bearings are NOT pressed on, they will only go so far on the end of the axle. They are also removeable without a press."

Well, I'm confused (what else is new, huh........<G>)! Are we talking tapered axles here, or flanged? Because none of the tapered axles that I've replaced bearings on would have come off without using a press, or would have went back on without the press either.

I wondered the same thing because the flanged axle bearings on my Dana 44 axles are not only pressed on but have a pressed on sleeve to lock the bearings in their location.

Bob