Temperature gage equivalent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Temperature gage equivalent

I have a 1950 2R5 pickup. It is converted to 12 volts. I want to replace my inoperable capillary tube temperature gage with an electric one. Does anybody know what gage unit to get that will look the same in the dash.

Thanks
    Norm

I think nothing is going to look perfect in those wide horizontal bezels, but something like a '59 Lark would function, but without trying it I have no way of knowing if it will FIT.

The very best method that I would probably use is an NOS 6 Volt Truck Electric Temp. Gauge with a Volt-A-Drop unit.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can have the old one fixed for a fair price, even if the tube and bulb are shot or missing. You will need the adaptor that screws into the block. Call The Temperature Gauge Guy:

The Temperature Gauge Guy
      Roy Martin
      172 Laurel Hill Drive
      So. Burlington VT 05403
      802-862-6374.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I think nothing is going to look perfect in those wide horizontal bezels, but something like a '59 Lark would function, but without trying it I have no way of knowing if it will FIT.

The very best method that I would probably use is an NOS 6 Volt Truck Electric Temp. Gauge with a Volt-A-Drop unit.
        If I use the 6 volt temp gage with a Volt-A-Drop, does the 12 volt sensor presently in the back of the 63 259 engine block work or do I need to get a different sensor? It is hard to access so I'd just as soon not have to replace the sensor.

Comment

Yes you need a 6 volt sender, but it is not a difficult thing to change.
          If the sender is too hard to remove because of bad engine mounts or some other reason, you remove the cylinder head rear end cap that it is mounted on instead.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I was very successful in splicing a bulb from one gauge I bought off ebay onto my existing gauge. And you can't beat the reliability of the old school gauge, even works when the power is off... I think the procedure is on the DC pages.
            1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
            See rescue progress here on this blog:
            http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
              You can have the old one fixed for a fair price, even if the tube and bulb are shot or missing. You will need the adaptor that screws into the block. Call The Temperature Gauge Guy:

The Temperature Gauge Guy
              Roy Martin
              172 Laurel Hill Drive
              So. Burlington VT 05403
              802-862-6374.
              Gary, This guy can fix a water temp gauge that the tube piece is cut?
              My gauge had the tube/cable/wire cut off, but I have both ends. Just missing a section of the tube {I know they can not splice the tube back together, but I have the sender end and the gauge end}.
              Is it very expensive?
              Thanks, Kelly

PS: This is in my '49 C-cab
              Last edited by kmac530; 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
              X