Need engine color specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need engine color specs

My 59-64 manual doesn't show the color specs for the 1959, 259 motor. Could someone give me the accurate color data for this engine block, valve covers and manifold. Am running the 4 barrel WCFB carb and the flight-o-matic transmission. I will try my own search in the technical forum, but if anyone knows off hand, the info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Silver with black valve covers, fan, and pullies.
    Kim

Comment

Welcome Dave (Champion51) I tried a Engine Color Search for you, and came up with none for '59-'60 years, so I understand your problem.

These questions come up here about every week or two, but some have poor titles making it harder to find them.

The 1958 to 1961 Engines were all Aluminum Silver, the engines, Bell Housings and Trans. were completely painted Silver; Water Manifold, Fan, Pulleys, Intake, Heads, Pan, ALL of it.
      Of course all Electrical components, the Valve Covers, Air Cleaner and Oil Cap were simi gloss to full gloss Black.

In those days they did not have VHT High Heat 1200 degree Exhaust Manifold Paint, so those just got some overspray since Engine Enamel would burn off anyway.

Nowdays we can use Duplicolor or Eastwood Cast Iron Gray Ceramic High Heat Manifold paint for an original bare Iron look that lasts as long as possible.

The Factory installed Fram Oil Filters were black and the Dealer installed units were Fram Orange with a Black Lid IF a older Canister type is on your Car. In 1958 to Mid 1962 however the spin-on type, partial flow, top mounted Oil Filters were SUPPOSED to be used, but they were an Option so we often find all types or none.

The Engine and Engine compartment dress-up (& Factory original) Decals are available at Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-17-2012, 11:49 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Somewhere there is a factory photo of a 1959 Lark frame with wheels, motor, and steering column installed and a lovely young women behind the wheel. That would be a good reference.

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
          Somewhere there is a factory photo of a 1959 Lark frame with wheels, motor, and steering column installed and a lovely young women behind the wheel. That would be a good reference.Anyone?
          No it would not, most of the display Engines and "photo opp" Chassis & Engines were specially dressed up to look good, not correct.

'53-'60 Replacement Fans and Pulleys from the Warehouse were Black and could have sometimes been used when Assy. Line supplies ran short.

Originally Black '53-'60 Oil Caps were often partially or completely oversprayed with the Engine Color.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A special thank you to StudeRich for a detailed and prompt answer. Big thumbs up! - Richard !
            Dave D.
            '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
            '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              No it would not, most of the display Engines and "photo opp" Chassis & Engines were specially dressed up to look good, not correct.

'53-'60 Replacement Fans and Pulleys from the Warehouse were Black and could have sometimes been used when Assy. Line supplies ran short.

Originally Black '53-'60 Oil Caps were often partially or completely oversprayed with the Engine Color.
              Sorry, I guess my memory is not as good as it used to be. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Working...
              X