Special Order '58 Packard Hardtops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Order '58 Packard Hardtops

Anyone aware of any "special order" '58 Packard hardtops with Packard Hawk running gear? Thanks, Dan

None that we're aware of, Dan.

I don't think anyone has culled all the 1958 Packard Production Orders looking for an anomoly like that, however, so "never say never." BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My dad sold one of each to a Hawthorne, CA couple. So IF She wanted to keep up with Him, It would have been tempting to add a Supercharger to Her Packard Hardtop.

I think that would be all she would need with that and a H.D. Automatic, she would have been good to GO, at least on the straightaways!

In fact if the Dealer had found a way to keep the 4 Brl. Carb., she would have left him in the dust!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

With the sedans ,hardtops ,and wagons having a hood scoop very similar to the one on the Packard Hawk, (which was added for supercharger clearance), I've always wondered if Studebaker intended to retain the
        supercharger on these non-Hawk Packard models for '58? With many supercharger- related complaints starting to come in, They wisely chose to leave it off cars aimed at the older 'Packard Crowd'.

Comment

go figure!!!

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          With the sedans, hardtops, and wagons having a hood scoop very similar to the one on the Packard Hawk, (which was added for supercharger clearance), I've always wondered if Studebaker intended to retain the supercharger on these non-Hawk Packard models for '58?
          I never really thought much about that scoop on those '58 Packard sedans/wagons until after I bought one~ turns out that they are only there to clear the radiator cap!!!

As for the topic--
          I know of at least one '58 Packard sedan with a blower roaming around somewhere.
          Was it built that way? I have no idea.
          Last edited by StudeDave57; 02-16-2012, 10:09 PM. Reason: added info
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Bob, it just seemed logical that some '57 engines were still left over at the assembly point, as '57 production wasn't a record setter nor was ussage of the engine relative to rather small numbers of Packard Hawks being ordered. That, combined with a sporty new model offering, seems that a hotter engine would have been interesting and that Packard would want to differentiate from Stude by offereing such in a similar model. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Dan, don't forget they were still building supercharged Golden Hawks in 1958. They wouldn't stamp an engine serial number until pretty close to production, so if they had any "left-over 1957 Packard engines," they could have well used them up in 1958 Golden Hawks...as well as 1958 Packard Hawks.

The point about warranty claims from the resultant complexity of supercharged engines in "regular" passenger cars (i.e., not sport-specific Hawks) is well taken. That undoubtedly played into their decision to axe the supercharged engine from all but certain Hawk models for 1958, although I don't profess to know how large a part of that decision it might have been. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In "Old Cars Weekly" that I just received yesterday, there is a small story about a '58 Packard J-bodied hardtop so equipped, and supposedly from the factory because the customer insisted on it. I don't have the magazine here right now so I don't recall all the details but is this what generated the initial inquiry from Carcrossword Dan?

Dave Bonn
                '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Dave, no , I hadn't seen that mag. It seemed like a logical fit to me. I'll try to find the magazine. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Dan, I'll try to post more details tonight when I get home and re-read the article. I don't have it here where I am so I can't even say what the cover date is, etc., but I'll find out. It just arrived at my house yesterday. It was a very short article, no pictures or anything.

Dave Bonn
                    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Dave, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                        In "Old Cars Weekly" that I just received yesterday, there is a small story about a '58 Packard J-bodied hardtop so equipped, and supposedly from the factory because the customer insisted on it. I don't have the magazine here right now so I don't recall all the details but is this what generated the initial inquiry from Carcrossword Dan?

Dave Bonn
                        '54 Champion Starliner
                        I haven't received an OCW since Feb. 2. I knew that one was missing in the mail, but I must be missing two issues.

I do NOT believe that Studebaker-Packard built that J-body with a Packard Hawk drivetrain. I would need the build sheet to convince me otherwise.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, I agree with you. It would take to build sheet to convince me as well. But I'll get more details from the article and post them later today. It's a good story, if nothing else.

Seems to me like this is the first Old Cars magazine I've received in a while as well. I should keep better track, I guess. Their reliability of delivery has been spotty at times in the past. An issue may not show up on time, then I'll get two on the same day, or a day apart.

Dave Bonn
                          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Folk tale article to say the least. There were no sedans hardtops or wagons fitted out of the factory with superchargers. The only odd thing that I can find with the build sheets deals with ordering dual dear antennas and not deleting the one on the front fender. Another odd fact would be the body number on the last Packard wagon to be built and to leave the factory......hint it wasnt #155 or higher

Comment

From Old Cars Magazine, Volume 41 No. 6, March 1, 2012.

The column is titled: "Club Clips", by Gerald Perschbacher. Page 20.

Apparently a column discussing articles that appeared recently in various car club newsletters, etc.

This is from a publication called "The Data Plate", Mid-America Packards, PAC, 8517 Ann Ave., Kansas City, KS 66112.

Editor Jeff Pachl says he saw this car wasting away in a field about 20 years ago. The story is that a travelling saleswoman ordered this '58 Packard two door hardtop with a supercharger and a manual transmission with overdrive. The dealer refused the order. She left, and later returned test driving a Cadillac and told the dealer she would buy the Cadillac if he didn't special order the Packard that she wanted. So the dealer gave in and she got the car equipped the way she wanted.

This is a short summary of the article. It doesn't really say who gave him this information about the car, the former owner herself?

I still agree with Gary in that I would want to see the build sheet to confirm this.

Dave Bonn
                              '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Working...
                              X