PDA

View Full Version : Couple quick questions

kmac530
02-16-2012, 08:03 PM
I got heads back and they are on the motor now and NO bind, rotates smoothly with clearance between the retainer caps and the stem seals and no spring bind at all. MUCH stiffer springs that I got from Phil Harris. Thanks Phil.

Now since its getting close to all together:
On the '63 289 I got from Bob K. it has a different timing gear cover than the sheetmetal one on my 232. It looks like it is Aluminum but it could also be some pot metal. If it is aluminum I think I will polish it. If it is just pot metal it is not really polishable so I will paint it.
Anyone know what it is made of?

Next: Is the water pump housing the same on the 232 as it is on the 289?
I did not get a water pump housing or water pump from Bob so I want to use the one off of my 232 if it is the same, or at least interchangeable with no negatives.

Last {for the moment}:
What year did Studes start using alternators in stead of generators?

showbizkid
02-16-2012, 08:11 PM
I can't answer the first two questions, Kelly, but the 3rd one I know: Alternators started in '63.

kmac530
02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
So my 289 would have had an alternator instead of a generator?

Corvanti
02-16-2012, 08:31 PM
aluminum vs. pot metal - got a magnet? :)

63t-cab
02-16-2012, 08:34 PM
I think the water manifolds are not the same,as in 2 bolts vs. 4 bolts for the thermostat hsg.

R2Andrea
02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
The timing gear cover is die cast aluminum.

63t-cab
02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
forgot to mention,again I think 63 trucks may have had gen.

Warren Webb
02-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Kelly, when you come over I have extra water manifolds. Your pump from either engine should work.

skyway
02-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Pay attention to those timing covers; I think the new one has a spot for the fuel pump and the old one does not.

kmac530
02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
aluminum vs. pot metal - got a magnet? :)

Is pot metal magnetic? I did not think it was.

kmac530
02-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Pay attention to those timing covers; I think the new one has a spot for the fuel pump and the old one does not.

Correct Skyway. The old 232 has the FP up on the oil filler neck and it is driven with a long rod down to the cam. The 289 has the FP mounted down on the timing cover. I will be running an electric FP and blanking off the one on the T-cover. However, I LOVE the look of the old filler neck with the pump and filter/separtor hanging off the sideof it, so I plan on gutting out the pump and running that filler neck with the FP and glass bowl separator but they will be just for show looks. I know wierd, right?

Corvanti
02-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Is pot metal magnetic? I did not think it was.

depends what was in the "pot". :rolleyes:

the older the vehicle, the less aluminum, etc. was used.

skyway
02-17-2012, 04:55 PM
"I know wierd, right?"

Not at all, it just so happens that I run a chromed old style timing cover on my 1963 GT.
It only works because of my electric fuel pump, and I like it a lot better than blanking off the FP boss.

In fact if I ever modified a '50's Stude car, it would run a 289 dressed up to look old, along with late finned drums, and other surprises..

irish
02-17-2012, 05:46 PM
depends what was in the "pot". :rolleyes:

the older the vehicle, the less aluminum, etc. was used.

Unless it contains alot of Iron a magnet isn't going to work. 'Pot metal' used in cars is primarily zinc with some lead. Their are different alloys for pot metal but I've never heard of any of them containing Iron.

Corvanti
02-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Unless it contains alot of Iron a magnet isn't going to work. 'Pot metal' used in cars is primarily zinc with some lead. Their are different alloys for pot metal but I've never heard of any of them containing Iron.

thanks irish, i stand corrected! :o

i may have been thinking of water pump covers on old cars i've dropped a bolt on and had problems picking it up with my "telescoping magnet device"...

i thought it was only "short term memory" i'm losing... :rolleyes:

irish
02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
thanks irish, i stand corrected! :o

i may have been thinking of water pump covers on old cars i've dropped a bolt on and had problems picking it up with my "telescoping magnet device"...

i thought it was only "short term memory" i'm losing... :rolleyes:

Corvanti their were indeed Studebaker timing gear covers made out of stamped steel. I think all of the 6 cylinders had them.

Joe

kmac530
02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Irish,
As Skyway and I were discussing, the early V8s had a stamped sheetmetal Timing gear cover as well. I have one on my 232.

Skyway,
I thought about chroming the stamped one, but I plan on running the polished finned Valve covers and valley pan cover some day so I thought the TC being polished may look more in line than the chrome.

So update: The TC is aluminum and it is polishable...although it is a low quality of aluminum. So the casting is a bit grainy and blotchy in color. I polish alot of Harley fork legs and heavy cast and forged aluminum parts for bikes and I am pretty good at it but this TC just will not get that almost chrome look no matter how many times I color sand and repolish it. The blotches and slightly grainy look is still there. It will look fine down under the water pump and behind the fan, but definately not show quality polished aluminum. That is okay though since Oscar is not intended as a show truck, but exactly what it is, a kids home built half ranch/ half hot rod backyard truck....even though I am no "kid"....lol.

So just to clarify, if I were to use the water pump housing, the only difference is that the 232 one has 4 bolts on the thermostat housing and the 289 has 2 bolts?
There is no issue with fit, or water passage size?

Then on the alternator question, is it hard to fit a GM single wire style into the stock 232 generator bracket? I am sure I will need to make some spacers and what not, but has anyone done it? How complicated was it?