Pa. 62 Daytona Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pa. 62 Daytona Update

Old car rescue trips are usually a fun and enjoyable trip. A good friend and I left southeast Michigan Monday 2/13 and headed southeast to southeast Pa. My Hudson/Studebaker buddy was gracious enough to volunteer his brand new Mercedes Suv for the towing duties. Really made for an easy trip. Spent most of Tuesday morning at Ernies's shop/storage location pokin, lookin and loadin.
    For those who chose to pass on the 59 red 2 door wagon, you missed a near perfect project. My friend, Mark was weak in the knees and almost went into a deepened state of depression because he couldn't buy it. I'd warned him about it and he first said he didn't want to look. But I was determined to watch him suffer. The big issue for him is that he was warned before he made this trip not to bring anymore steel babies home. He did, however, succomb to the allure of a 1965 Honda 65cc motorcycle. Not only does Mark own a Studebaker and a Hudson, but has acollection of Harleys from the thirties into the seventies. One of them has it's own spot in his den. The Honda is red, so he cleverly sent a picture of to his wife as a red Valentine's day gift. She told him he could come home, but he'd be sleeping in the barn with all the rest of his 2 wheeled accumlations. Mark and his wife are fun people and we had a ball.
    I thank Jim Sinclair and Bob Andrews for being the encouragement to make this venture. Most of all, "Ernie" for letting us have the car, Honda and assorted parts. We will keep him in our prayers.

Kim

Gonna try to post pics we took at Enie's
    Attached Files

I managed to get pics posted, Mark insisted I stand in front of one of Studebaker's facory options ya got whether you wanted it or not, vertical band of rust. Makes it "sound" a bit more desireable. I got more than my moneys worth. Also bought a flanged axel Dana 44 with twin trac 3:31.
    Kim

Comment

Excellent. Great report and thank goodness for a mild winter...easy to imagine what the adventure could have been like this time of year along that route! Cool beans. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey Kim,
        Glad you guys had a safe and fun trip! I didn't think you would be unhappy with your purchase, the Daytona will make a cool ride. As for the Wagon, it too as you found was a sweet deal, and it will meet it's new owner on Saturday.

Kind of ironic that the "rescue" was made with a Mercedes Benz.

Take care.
        Jim
        Last edited by LarkTruck; 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM.
        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Nice job Kim.. Glad to see you back with a Stude..!

Comment

Ya, I had my mind set on the lil red wagon makeing someone a sweet ride.did a club member get it ?
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              Ya, I had my mind set on the lil red wagon makeing someone a sweet ride.did a club member get it ?
              Not currently a club member(we're gonna work on changing that) but a long time Stude owner from Delaware.
              Jim

Comment

Yeah Jim, Mark and I thought the same. He didn't know Studebaker was once an importer for Mercedes Benz. Matt, I'm glad to have a Stude again. This one has the usual body problems, but not as severe as some I've seen. It will make a good daily driver once I've got all of storage bugs out of it. I'll update progress from time to time. Can't wait to fire it up, nothing sounds better than a Stude V8.
                Kim

Comment

Very clean car for an East Coast vehicle.
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Got impatient today and decided to reinstall the old vac advance, so I could fire it up. Pulled the dist. to install fresh points and condensor. Had distributor in the vice for 3 days and began to realize part was not be here for a few more days. As is usual for Stude V8s, didn't take much for it come back to life. I've got 4 dead cyclinders, but even being that handicapped it will fire right up. Gonna run a compression check and see what I've got. I suspect some stuck valves based the mild lifter noise I could hear. Not 100% but still a whole buncha fun.
                    Kim

Comment

Congrats, Kim. Glad to help.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks Bob & Jim,
                        For all your help as i down size.
                        Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie Stoltzfus View Post
                          Thanks Bob & Jim,
                          For all your help as i down size.
                          Ernie
                          No problem Dog, glad you are making progress!
                          Jim

Comment

I got back on the Daytona Monday afternoon. Ran a compression check and had 125/130 lbs on all cyclinders except # 5. Gauge didn't move at all. Pulled valve covers and removed rocker assembly, #5 exhaust valve was stuck open. Spent bout 2 hours squirt penetrating oil and tapping on the valve and finally got it to start moveing. Once I was satisfied with movement, put rocker assembly back on, checked compression 125lbs. Fired up and after a minute or so, smoothed right out. Shut it down and reinstalled valve covers. I've alwasy been used to top of the heads on dormant Studes to be gooped up, ladened with sludge. These had nearly no coating at all, just oil, no sludge.
                            I called Ernie ,previous owner, to get some history on the car. It's been off the road since 1985 and has had very little activity since then. It doesn't even have the factory oil leaks at the rear main or front crank seal. I'm amazed at how well it runs after setting for more than 25 years. I've not even touched the carb. except to adjust idle. While the car couln't help the environment it was in for many years, it appears it was owned by some one who took good care of it. It reads 79,085k miles.
                            At 63 years, there isn't much that excites me these days but hearing this engine run and making a mad dash down the road and back with no brakes is about as exciting as it can get.
                            Thanks for letting me share,
                            Kim

Comment

ATTABOY Kim. Not sure how much history Ernie told you, But I would bet the car never left Lancaster County Pa. till you came along :-)
                              Keep up the good work!
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X