57 Transtar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Transtar

My wife has an origonal 1957 transtar quarter ton pick up and she wants me to get it running again. She has had it for like 30 years and it's been in here moms back yard for ever. It is rust free and complete as she drove it back behind the garage and shut it off. My question, is there something that can be done to the front end to soften the look like earlier fenders or a different grille. The project is kind of up to me as I work building custom cars. I was thinking of using a 4.3 gm vortec drive train as they are small, light and an easy install and make an easy 200+ hp. I would likely install a mustang two front end as well as it's also easy and I get a deal on them. Any thoughts or ideas would be highly appreciated as I havn't done a Stude in the past. She said if I did a good job I could do a Starlight Coupe for her. She came from a studebaker family and still has a lot of stuff.
    Bill A

Sounds like an amazing woman. Hang on to her. Good luck with the truck. Do a search for truck threads and I'm sure you will find tons of ideas. I just completed a similar upgrade to my 1949 2R5. (now a 2R5.3)

Just a few of my threads on the build. There are many more when you search. It might be interesting for you to see the great support you will recieve on whatever you do to your truck. This is a great club. Get involved. there are a ton of experts here that will help you with anything you need.
    Last edited by Sdude; 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Why not put it back in service as she remembers it? At least appearance-wise. Maybe she'd like it that way. Earlier versions of this cab had a different look to them even tho the fenders were the same. Good luck
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The front fenders, grill and hood will fit off of a '49 and later truck. The grill comes off of that Transtar front end and there will be some holes, but you could make the grill from a '49 up fit, and the hood is very similar other than the very different hood fixture. I prefer the earlier rocket looking hood ornament over the bigger boxier Transtar recessed logo on your model, but both have their fans.

Rosco has a Transtar and I have a '49 C-cab so we each have feelings for our respective models. I have seen a few guys french in the Transtar front grill and shave the hood ornament and that smoothens them out a bit.

Anyway you do it, post up some pics.

Welcome to the club and you have found the right place for help here. Great place and great people {other than me }

Comment

You'll receive lots of help and advice on the Studebaker Truck Talk site. Lots of folks that have been there, done that. http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/
          Bish
          sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
          1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
          1959 4E2 4spd, TT
          1963 8E28 GSA order
          1963 8E5 SOLD!
          1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Originally posted by Bill A View Post
            My wife has an origonal 1957 transtar quarter ton pick up and she wants me to get it running again. She has had it for like 30 years and it's been in here moms back yard for ever. It is rust free and complete as she drove it back behind the garage and shut it off. My question, is there something that can be done to the front end to soften the look like earlier fenders or a different grille. The project is kind of up to me as I work building custom cars. I was thinking of using a 4.3 gm vortec drive train as they are small, light and an easy install and make an easy 200+ hp. I would likely install a mustang two front end as well as it's also easy and I get a deal on them. Any thoughts or ideas would be highly appreciated as I havn't done a Stude in the past. She said if I did a good job I could do a Starlight Coupe for her. She came from a studebaker family and still has a lot of stuff.
            Bill A

Rust free, ran and drove. Why not stay with Stude power and use whats there? It is of course your truck, your money, your decision but staying original seems like the path of least resistance to me. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses and cool thoughts. The final decisions as to stock or not will be hers, then I'll just make it happen in a way that will be a sweet driver. She has an extra engine and trans as well as likely every bearing set in the truck. She did a full frame off resto with her dad on a 55 coupe and drove it for like 10 years until she couldn't find a mechanic for it anymore. I liked the grill and front on one of the links, I'll show her this evening. From what I've been told I likely could add fuel and do a little massage and the thing should run and drive. We'll see what she feels like. I'm currently converting an older tool truck into a mobil blacksmith shop, we have a hobby shop that will hopefully become my retirement assistant. As for her she has her own anvil, hammers and tongs....... she's a good cook and can shoot so yep, I'm keeping this one. Thanks again
              Bill

Comment

Nice Bill, you sound like you would fit in great around here.

Comment

Sdude, John thats a nice build. I was looking it over as best as possible and it's alot like what I was thinking about. It is an original frame I think based on the riveted front crossmember. I see you boxed the frame in the engine area, do you have any pics of that? I did an LT1 in a 47 Merc woddy and had to box it back behind the trans. It looks like a Mustang 2, did Fatman sell a kit for the truck or did you have to fit another to work? I know...... too many questions but if I don't have to why re-invent the wheel then why do it. Also is that a Vintage Aire or another system? Again, nice build.
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill A View Post
                    Sdude, John thats a nice build. I was looking it over as best as possible and it's alot like what I was thinking about. It is an original frame I think based on the riveted front crossmember. I see you boxed the frame in the engine area, do you have any pics of that? I did an LT1 in a 47 Merc woddy and had to box it back behind the trans. It looks like a Mustang 2, did Fatman sell a kit for the truck or did you have to fit another to work? I know...... too many questions but if I don't have to why re-invent the wheel then why do it. Also is that a Vintage Aire or another system? Again, nice build.
                    Bill
                    Fatman is correct and one of the threads I listed has specific pictures. Here's a link to the vintage air unit that we put in it. It was specifically designed for the C Cab trucks and will fit right in your Transtar.

And here's another thread showing the Fatman installation.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-the-last-time.

If you do an advance search with the username SDUDE you will find a bunch of different posts about this build. Also many posts about my bullet nose build if you look further back.
                    Last edited by Sdude; 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM.
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                    X