Ignition coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition coil

I am looking for a 6 volt ignition coil for my 1938 Studebaker Commander 7A. This is a three wire coil that goes through the firewall. If anyone could direct me it would be appriciated. Thank You Nick

I would try Studebaker International. I haven't seen the new catalogue yet (Ed, I spent thousands with you), but if it's not in there, call them directly. They are great at finding those types of things.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have a Commander parts car, but I don't know if there is a coil in it, good or otherwise, and I can't check until I get home in about 2 weeks. At work right now.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

ignition coil

Originally posted by gordr View Post
        I have a Commander parts car, but I don't know if there is a coil in it, good or otherwise, and I can't check until I get home in about 2 weeks. At work right now.
        I appriciate you respomse and If you would let me know if it has a coil like what I am looking for I would appriciatte that as well. Thanks again
        Nick

Comment

Thanks alot for the info warrlaw...I just ordered a catalog from studebaker international
          Thanks
          Nick

Comment

Also try the Antique Studebaker Club site. It's aimed at pre war Studes.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Nick, I was perusing some photos I took of the '38. The coil is there, mounted in the firewall. Two terminals on the firewall side, the HV tower, and the low-tension wire that goes to the distributor base.

Presumably, there is an armored cable that goes from the inboard end of the coil to the ignition switch.

I haven't a clue if it's any good.

Comment

Well Heck :: Lets see some pics of these 38s ...

Comment

I checked my sources, I found an NOS ign switch& cable, and a 'universal ' coil. Those type like you seek are pretty few and far in between. My 'antique stude source' is looking into finding an original..........

Comment

A friend just bought an NOS one as a spare for his '38. I'll see if it's for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                      Would that parts car have any body or trim parts in common with our 40 Commander DeluxTone 4 dr?
                      sigpic

Comment

GORDR.... that sounds like what I am looking for. Let me know what you want for it and we will go from there
                        Thanks
                        Nick

Comment

Nick, I should be home in ten or twelve days, and I will remove that coil and test it. I'm working nearly 300 miles away, and can't get home until the job is done.

Bubba, I don't know if any body parts are shared between '38 and '40. It would be from the cowl back if there are. Pretty sure the bright trim is all different.

Comment

Thanks Gordr That would be great
                            Nick

Comment

Any Luck Gordr?
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X