Unusual Accessory Rear Door Safety Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Accessory Rear Door Safety Lock

I have never seen this one before but I just purchased an AC-3456 Rear Door Safety Lock from an eBay auction. It looks to be from the 1960's given the "S" logo on the instructions. I will likely install it on my '64 Wagonaire. Has anyone seen this accessaory before and does anyone know what years it was available? I am familiar with the older type accessory rear door safety lock for the 1947-52 suicide door cars but not this newer type. Picture below. Bill Jackameit.
    Attached Files
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Jack: These aren't terribly rare; I've seen a few, to answer your first question.

As to the second part of your question, AC3456 is shown as being for 1963 and newer 4-door models (sedans and wagons).

It may have replaced SP50079, which seems to be the same thing for 1956-1962. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by bjackameit View Post
      I have never seen this one before but I just purchased an AC-3456 Rear Door Safety Lock from an eBay auction. It looks to be from the 1960's given the "S" logo on the instructions. I will likely install it on my '64 Wagonaire. Has anyone seen this accessaory before and does anyone know what years it was available? I am familiar with the older type accessory rear door safety lock for the 1947-52 suicide door cars but not this newer type. Picture below. Bill Jackameit.
      I put a set of these on my '64 Wagonaire years ago. I think mine came from a dealer stock that I bought. They work fine. To unlock them I just use my ignition key in the slot and pull them up.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I am pretty sure that I saw them in the SI catalog and they are still available. I have not purchased them, as my kids are no longer small.

Mark

Comment

I believe the same vendor also supplied Chrysler with exact same childproof locks. I remember seeing a number Dodges and Plymouths equipped with them from the early 60's.

Craig

Comment

When I was a kid, my parents had them on our 62 lark daytona wagon

Comment

i recently purchased a set from Chris Skinner (Studebaker Queensland) here in Australia and may install them on my '62 lark.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                I believe the same vendor also supplied Chrysler with exact same childproof locks. I remember seeing a number Dodges and Plymouths equipped with them from the early 60's.
                Craig
                That is a true statement. So true in fact that the SP50079s I have include information (or drawings?) of other makes right there on the installation sheet!!! If I could find that tiny little box in my 1600 sq feet of 'fun' I'd scan it for you folks. But right now I'll still looking for the set of StratoView mirrors I just KNOW are here... somewhere.
                (note to self- the mailbox will always win if pitted against Chineese re-pop mirrors!!!)
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If someone really needs a set of these I have a set still in the box.
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

......I have a NOS set too...and no kids....well, no kids who want to drive in my Cruiser....

Comment

Working...
                    X