Hawk Side Grill Disassembly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Hawk Side Grill Disassembly question

I have been working to get all my parts ready to go to the chrome shop. I pulled the two side grills out of my 61 this weekend. Getting the grill mesh out was very straight forward. Three short bolts in the bottom and the mesh was out. Then I went to remove the sheet metal insert that the grill mesh was attached to and discovered it had the same type attachment to the chrome surround as the belt moulding pieces I was asking about earlier in the week. It appears to have small stud like structures stick out and the sheet metal insert has tabs with holes and it fits down over these little studs. Only one stud still had the original attachment intact. It appears to have been either a brad of the top of that little stud structure or maybe a solder joint.

My question is, how do you guys re-attach these insert to the chrome surround after they are chromed?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I have ground the heads off the studs and when ready to reassemble I drilled and tapped the holes and used machine screws. You could also drill out the studs and install 3/16" rivets.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I drilled and tapped mine [about a 10/32 machine screw IIRC] I'dthink rivets might crack the pot metal.
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was thinking that drill and tap might be the answer but I was concerned about the pot metal cracking. I drilled and tapped the first two tonight. It worked great. Thanks again for the advice.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Carefully

Do not drill too far in so as to poke through to the front side of the casting. Duh- aw shucks! You will need a bottom tap and pointed tap. I f you only have access to a pointed tap, Tap all holes at bout 1/2 way and then grind the tip of your tap flat. Tap a bit more. Tap only enough to put in very short stainless screws. If you can't get the length you desire, you can file-grind them shorter or use small washers under the head to take up excessive length. If you've never tapped pot metal or any metal for that matter, try tapping a scrap piece of unobtanium first. cheers jimmijim
          Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
          I drilled and tapped mine [about a 10/32 machine screw IIRC] I'dthink rivets might crack the pot metal.
          Last edited by jimmijim8; 02-16-2012, 05:53 AM.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Right Jimmi- it's been a long time since I did mine. My biggest fear was going too deep! Also as you say,I used a pointed tap to start,and a homemade 'bottom tap to finish.
            I'd also add-don't put a lot of torque on the screws,just snug them and use some glue to keep them from vibrating loose.
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Zaklee 'bout that glue. Thanks for the addendum

oiuygtfrdeswdcfghjkljhygtfreds85t4e3w2ert6y7u890plkmjnhgt
              Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
              Right Jimmi- it's been a long time since I did mine. My biggest fear was going too deep! Also as you say,I used a pointed tap to start,and a homemade 'bottom tap to finish.
              I'd also add-don't put a lot of torque on the screws,just snug them and use some glue to keep them from vibrating loose.
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
              X