PDA

View Full Version : How a stainless guy does rust repair

mbstude
02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
My Broadmoor is a rust bucket, having spent its like in Ohio. I was looking through my stainless stash, saw a piece of trim that caught my eye, and then this happened.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/homemade.jpg

Anyone care to guess what the trim started out as? It's guaranteed to make a few people mad. :rolleyes:

Yea, it looks pretty cheesy. But it looks a lot better than a gaping rust hole.. It'll work until I can fix the car up right.

63t-cab
02-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Butter knife from a 55 c or k.

mbstude
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Butter knife from a 55 c or k.

Well that was fast. Don't tell the Speedster owners.

JDP
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
My Broadmoor is a rust bucket, having spent its like in Ohio. I was looking through my stainless stash, saw a piece of trim that caught my eye, and then this happened.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/homemade.jpg

Anyone care to guess what the trim started out as? It's guaranteed to make a few people mad. :rolleyes:

Yea, it looks pretty cheesy. But it looks a lot better than a gaping rust hole.. It'll work until I can fix the car up right.

Rust bucket, your front fenders are not flopping in the breeze, just a hole down low.

studegary
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
The wagon may have a little rust after 55 years, but it is FAR from being a "rust bucket". Your Packard Hawk is closer to being considered a rust bucket.

studegary
02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Rust bucket, your front fenders are not flopping in the breeze, just a hole down low.

That reminds me of a local Hudson Valley Chapter member that had a Lark that was named Dumbo because the front fenders flapped as he drove.

coyote
02-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Dumbo - What a great name. I can just picture that driving down the road, fenders flapping in the breeze.

jclary
02-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Matt, make sure to keep the dirt blown out from behind that little piece of stainless. Moisture getting back there and drying out is not so bad. However, if moisture holding dirt gets back there, then it becomes a rust accelerator.

Jeff_H
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Reminds me of a few years ago when that 4-5" wide plastic chrome lower side trim was popular on new pickups. A youngish fellow that lived in some apts near my street was fixing up a late 80s lincoln town car and to cover up all the rot on the door bottoms and the rear quarters he got some aftermarket rolls of that wide plastic chrome and stuck it on over the rust holes. I think he did a shade tree paint job on the upper parts too to improve the flaking clear coat. It looked pretty "snazzy" from at least 10 feet

Studeous
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
I like the idea. I dig the creativity. It's a custom one off like the Goodguys high dollar Show machines are doing. I remember an Avanti in the 80s that had a Snoopy on one side of it. Could have been a cover up. Pontiac Parisienne Brougham in 85 and 86 had a large stainless strip at the bottom that made it look much better than its Caprice counterpart. I would like to see a late model Studebaker trucks bed sides done in one big Stainless sheet, with the fenders painted a contrasting color.