1956 President steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1956 President steering wheel

The President needs a replacement steering wheel.

I have three questions.

What other cars are interchangable with the '56 President?

Are aftermarket steering wheels available? I can't seem to locate one.

How much skill does it take to do the POR15 steering wheel repair kit? About 1/4th of the material on the steering wheel is missing.

thanks,
    Steven

Contact Shrock, Tom or Dave, They remanufacture Studebaker steering Wheels, Not cheap, but you will have a near to NOS '56 President Wheel you will be proud of. Shrocks advertise in TW's.

Comment

I believe any '53 thru '56 Studebaker passenger car steering wheel will interchange. (There are styling differences, but they'll fit)

Comment

I believe any '53 thru '56 Studebaker passenger car steering wheel will interchange. (There are styling differences, but they'll fit)
        True as far as will fit on the steering shaft.

I suspect this '56 President has the 3 spoke wheel with the 1/2 circle horn ring and the large OD horn button. Some '55's have a similar wheel but a full circle horn ring. Not sure if it would have the metal "rings" on it like a 56J does though.

Neglecting different colors, that 3 spoke with 1/2 ring "type E" wheel was used on '53 to '56 cars and any of them could be made to look correct with a paint job. If you find one that was made of the hard black rubber (that was painted), it will be cracked but can be fixed with different filler kits. Others of those wheels were made of solid color hard plastic and usually have started to crumble if exposed to the sun too long.

Be aware that wheels from sedans are 18" diameter but ones from C/K cars are 17" diameter. They look the same otherwise.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Not saying it can't be done, but you would have quite a task trying to replace 1/4 of the original material. Repair kits are really oriented toward filling cracks.

Feast your eyes on these:

http://www.shrockbrothers.com/Wheel_album.html
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Everything they do is top shelf. The Schrock's that is. If ya got big bucks use them. There's better ones out there needing only minor crack fixing to just repainting. If you are hands on go this route. Yours sounds like crappola. I have a good one but I can't put my hands on it right now as it is in my other home in West Virginia and I am in Alabama right now cheers jimmijim
            Originally posted by swaim View Post
            The President needs a replacement steering wheel.

I have three questions.

What other cars are interchangable with the '56 President?

Are aftermarket steering wheels available? I can't seem to locate one.

How much skill does it take to do the POR15 steering wheel repair kit? About 1/4th of the material on the steering wheel is missing.

thanks,
            Steven
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

If you find a better wheel that only needs cracks repaired, whatever you do, do not throw away your old steering wheel. Shrocks will pay for usable cores.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                If you find a better wheel that only needs cracks repaired, whatever you do, do not throw away your old steering wheel. Shrocks will pay for usable cores.
                Is Shrock now paying for 18" dia. '56 President type str. wheels cores too ...or just the 17 1/4" dia. '56 C/K type str. wheel cores??? TIA

Comment

give shrocks a call.

Comment

Working...
                  X