Present day Studebaker Shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Present day Studebaker Shops

A thread from a few days ago got me to thinking about present day shops who specialize or at least are known for there work on Studebakers.
    I did a quick search, found nothing.
    Vendors are pretty well covered.
    Is there a list of shops who work on Studebakers ?
    South Lompoc Studebaker

SDC has a glove box guide that lists service providers who offer to help the traveling Studebaker.
    Needless to say, there are hundreds of shops familiar with the marque who are not in the glove box guide.
    The local shop I deal with knew what a Studebaker was but didn't become immersed in the culture until I had moved a couple of projects in to and out of his shop.
    Now, he has the parts catalogs and shop manuals for every Stude that's crossed his threshold and, a '56 Transtar of his own.
    Still less than 1% of shop traffic.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think this is an excellent idea. Many Studebaker owners (or would be Studebaker owners) do not wrench. It would be a great service not only to service existing club members, but also to make it easier for prospective members to own a Studebaker. I don't believe a list exists. If we can develop one, it should be published monthly in TW and should be available here on the SDC web site.

I only know of a couple. Studebakers Northwest and Studebakers West

Hopefully others will chime in here and we can compile them and get them listed.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Carl and Herman Thoms at Studebakers West.

Myer's Studebaker.

Mike Baker has an Avanti shop.

Brad Bez does restoration work, but he's a "I'll come to you!" guy, rather than having a specific location.

George Klutkowski in Florida is one of the lesser known ones, but one of the best.

I'm sure there are a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Myer's Studebaker.

Brad Bez does restoration work, but he's a "I'll come to you!" guy, rather than having a specific location.

George Klutkowski in Florida is one of the lesser known ones, but one of the best.

Matt...how about some contact info on the above.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Stude specific restoration shops are fairly well known to those of us who have been involved for a while; lesser known to the newbies.
            If I grok Dan's question correctly, can we develop a list of those shops who can identify and quickly repair Studebaker issues?
            Not looking for the restoration facility that will re-deliver a new Studebaker months or years later.

Tim Keeney's Square Deal Garage, York, PA (717) 741-1151
            Roan's Body Shop, major and minor mechanical and body, State College, PA. (814) 234-1180

But, someone will need to collect, collate and disseminate.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Larry Swansen had the list at one time of stude repair/parts sources.

I goggled studebaker repair and restoration and found plenty of shops. The vendors that do repairs have it on their websites, A guide would be nice but when SDC put one together, there was hardly any interest in it. I think when people want work done, they find us when they want to.

The Hochhalters do excellent repairs and restorations on Avanti, In Eastern, WA http://www.dailysunnews.com/archives...nti-sports-car

Studebakers Northwest specializes in repair, and have parts. http://www.studebakersnorthwest.com/

Meyers Studebaker is one of the older shops http://www.myersstudebaker.com/

Studebakers West has also been doing it for many years and has parts. http://www.studebakerswest.net/
              Last edited by (S); 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

How about including a list in the Membership Roster ?
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Jim Maxey is one of the best when it comes to building engines. (The rest of his mechanical abilities are 100% as well)
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

So...if we really want to do this, we'll need contact info (address, phone, and or web site)
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I can always add another page on my site

64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

Myer's Studebaker.

Brad will be in the St. Louis area by about late March or early April, doing several more restorations over the next year. It's centrally located.
                        Lew Schucart
                        Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

There are three major guys that are here in the Chicago area. Pretty much every Blackhawk member who has been in the club knows about them, and they are very reputable.

Deluxe Auto Werks
                          Scott Statsny(Owner and Blackhawk member)
                          (630) 293-7750
                          319 Wilson Ave, West Chicago, IL
                          DeluxeAutoWerks@att.net

I think he's moved into mostly restorations now, and he does Brand X and collision work. He's the longtime, residential Studebaker mechanic for the club. He's detailed, extremely knowledgeable, and he knows our Studebakers from top to bottom. He also owns and drives Studebakers and a Pierce Arrow. He helped us put my flexplate and replaced a leaking pinion seal into my Lark, as we really didn't want to crawl under there on the winter ground.

Old Coach Works
                          1206 Badger Street •
                          Yorkville, IL 60560-1701 •
                          PH. (630) 553-0414 • FX. (630) 553-1053
                          Even though the company has been around in some form since 1998, we've only been Digital Momentum since 2018. Before that, we were known as RACERSITES.

These guys also do restorations, and are very well established, in fact, they also advertise in the back of Turning Wheels. They will also do insurance appraisals. We have used them to do insurance appraisals on a few of our cars.

Special Mention:
                          Auto Machine
                          (630) 584-1188
                          310 N 6th St, St Charles, IL 6017

These guys have worked on Studebaker engines for a very long time, and the shop is very well established. They did the R&R work for the first Avanti R3, so they know their stuff.
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Speedwell Motors (Ross Miller) in Parkton, MD and Dennis Weinsteiger in New Berlinville, PA are both excellent Stude repair facilities.

Comment

Here's what was listed recently and more

64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X