'63 Hawk Door Latches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: '63 Hawk Door Latches

Need to repair/replace the latches on my Hawk. The passenger side is the worst in that (like the drivers side) it needs to be closed just the right way and usually more than once. The pass. side latching toothed wheel is becoming progressively looser and is harder to close than the drive side.
    Realize a rebuilt unit could be purchased but thought that I could try repairing the unit myself, before spending the big bucks for a rebuilt one.
    Any one have any idea as to what to look for once the unit is out of the door and possible approaches to repairing it??

Thanks for any help, Paul TK

I also like trying to repair things Myself, but with a worn out door latch Your going to be much better off going with NOS, or at least very good used. SI probably still has new ones. (Ditto on the strikers)

Comment

Paul,I sent you a pm.
      Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
      Need to repair/replace the latches on my Hawk. The passenger side is the worst in that (like the drivers side) it needs to be closed just the right way and usually more than once. The pass. side latching toothed wheel is becoming progressively looser and is harder to close than the drive side.
      Realize a rebuilt unit could be purchased but thought that I could try repairing the unit myself, before spending the big bucks for a rebuilt one.
      Any one have any idea as to what to look for once the unit is out of the door and possible approaches to repairing it??

Thanks for any help, Paul TK
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Push in the door handle button and rotate the latch wheel. Check the wear on all of the 4 "teeth". Position the one with the least amount of wear at the correct latch position and close the door. The latch wheel teeth do not index around each time the door is opened, so the wear occurs on one tooth only until you change the position as described. On my Daytona, I had one tooth really worn and the door rattled, but luckily there were 2 teeth that had never been used - end of problem! If all 4 teeth are worn then it is time for a latch replacement.

Comment

What a great idea. thank you cheers jimmijim
          Originally posted by WCP View Post
          Push in the door handle button and rotate the latch wheel. Check the wear on all of the 4 "teeth". Position the one with the least amount of wear at the correct latch position and close the door. The latch wheel teeth do not index around each time the door is opened, so the wear occurs on one tooth only until you change the position as described. On my Daytona, I had one tooth really worn and the door rattled, but luckily there were 2 teeth that had never been used - end of problem! If all 4 teeth are worn then it is time for a latch replacement.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Are you sure that the striker plate doesn't just needs adjustment?

Comment

The parts are just riveted and peened over....Find a 4 door Lark, and use the rear latches, as they are usually less used. Grind them an separate both latches and replace worn with better parts from the doner latch. Weld back together, and you're good to go.
              Of course this is only for CASO types, and I use new parts when I can find them.
              Last edited by bezhawk; 02-12-2012, 01:47 PM.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for the help - I'll try indexing the tooth wheel first, then rebuilding w/ Lark donar parts and, if needed, follow up on J. Zeijer's offer.

Thaks again - Will post results when successful.

Paul TK

Comment

Update:
                  obtained an old set of door lock/latches - They were an older set (not compatible). After disassembling them discovered that they had caked grease and dirt inhibiting their operation.
                  Took the '63 Hawks lock out and found the same problem (looking thru' the small spaces in the housing). W/out disassenbly, soaked the assembly in solvent for an hour (fortunately did not dissolve the paint) and blew out the "gunk" - nasty stuff in there. Then repeated a couple more times and finally (after drip-dry for a day) soaked w/ SuperLube. Let that draim for a day and then greased, best as possible while assembled, the wear points. Then blew in dry lube (the white stuff).
                  Now works like new!!!
                  Paul TK

Comment

Right side hawk door lock will be listed on ebay this weekend. Part #1323508

T-cab

Comment

Working...
                    X