61 Hawk; warm air with heater/cold air with defroster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 61 Hawk; warm air with heater/cold air with defroster

61 Hawk. Heater blows hot air on both speeds, defroster blows cold air on both speeds. Any help?

Is the defroster even hooked up?
    It is entirely separate from the heater unit. It gets it's hot water from a tee in the heater hoses. (supply side after the valve).
    Look for connections at the fire wall. The motor sticking out near the right cylinder head if for the defroster, and the hoses should be just below that.
    The main heater motor is hidden behind the right fender and is separate.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Defroster heater core is seperate assembly. It could be blocked, as could hoses leading to and from it. Try removing hoses and forcing moderate pressure water through it. Good luck

Comment

Even when working perfectly, it is always going to blow lukewarm air, at best. Its a marginal design that circulates very little hot water thru the coil. However, the 'T' fittings are prone to partial stop-up with crud. So it may help to disconnect the hoses at the 'T' fittings and inspect. While the hoses are off, blow thru them to make sure the coil isn't stopped up.

Comment

In addition, while the air for the heater is supplied by the air rammed in at the fender vents, there is no rammed air passing through the defroster core. It will only reach maximum force when its fan is circulating cabin air already supplied by the heater.

As advised, make certain the defroster core is getting its maximum flow of coolant and all air duct hoses are in place.
          And...don't drive through Manitoba in January!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The diameter of the tee hole to the defroster is quite small and could quite easily be blocked. SI and other vendors sell a plastic tee now, the originals were metal.
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Back many many years ago when I drove my 51 as a work car I made 2 Y fitting and put them in place of the T fitting and got a lot hotter air thru the defrosters.

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                The diameter of the tee hole to the defroster is quite small and could quite easily be blocked. SI and other vendors sell a plastic tee now, the originals were metal.
                I hate to ruin perspective sales for vendors, but LOWES sells brass 'T' fittings for house trailer plumbing that works great, and has a slightly bigger inner diameter hole for the 3/8" fitting that goes to the defroster. The outside is also a tad larger, but still will accept the 3/8" hose. Another tip, left by my old friend Lester Schmidt, and now passed on by me And by the way, Les was also a plumber back in the day!

Comment

I wish I had known that many years ago. I made my own from copper tubing and a soldering torch. They worked great and I had the satisfaction of making them myself, but still not as easy as buying them.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    I hate to ruin perspective sales for vendors, but LOWES sells brass 'T' fittings for house trailer plumbing that works great, and has a slightly bigger inner diameter hole for the 3/8" fitting that goes to the defroster. The outside is also a tad larger, but still will accept the 3/8" hose. Another tip, left by my old friend Lester Schmidt, and now passed on by me And by the way, Les was also a plumber back in the day!
                    I have also seen tees like you describe in plumbing departments but I had already replaced mine through SI.
                    sigpic
                    55 President Deluxe
                    64 Commander
                    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                    X