51 door panel trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 door panel trim

I have a 51 H C5 (starlite coupe, commander, state) that I am working on. With some stainless I got off ebay were these curved mouldings that were supposed to be for the doors. I set them by an old panel that has the holes punched for them to show how they are contoured. They are obviously too long and curve differently than the ones needed. Anyone know what they are for or have the ones I need? Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0072.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1734695
    This photo is of an original panel with the trim I need.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3569.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1734696
    Rob

The ill-fitting piece looks like '55 trim.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

1951's had a straight trim piece, I agree with Roscomacaw, it looks like it's from a later model.

Comment

My '51 is a Land Cruiser and the inside door trim does not look anything like yours. Being a different body style may be the difference. If you have the body manual for '51's, it should show the various model panels along with part numbers for trim pieces. My manual for these models is out in the car (I think) and it is too cold and windy to venture out and retrieve it (meaning I'm too lazy). If all else fails, you might be able to trim yours to fit. The other alternative would be to check with Matt Burnette and see if he might have the correct pieces and work out a trade since he is in the stainless trim restoration business.
        Last edited by jclary; 02-11-2012, 08:09 PM.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sorry but I'm just another guy tellin you my 52 commander is different.

Dean.

Comment

Land Cruisers and '52 models are different. Also different are other trim levels of 51's.

The "wrong" piece may also be from a '53. Hard to tell from a photo.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
              1951's had a straight trim piece,
              Depends on trim level. A '51 State Coupe:Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110001.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1671891

The '53 trim is shallower:Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110004.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1671892
              Last edited by rockne10; 02-11-2012, 08:24 PM.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The trim I need is like the first one that rockne10 shows. I was hoping to find out what the one I have goes to if someone needs it. I do need the curved piece to fit mine if someone has one around. I already talked to Roy Valdez and struck out. He suggested I post the photo to maybe Identify what I have. I have the manual for the 51/52 cars but not any of the other ones.
                Thanks for the responses.

Rob

Comment

mapman, my 48 coupe has water stains like your photo. What is the cause of this?
                  All the cloth my the car has stains like this.
                  I plan to recover the side panels on the old backing. Is it durable enough to do this?
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 9echo View Post
                    mapman, my 48 coupe has water stains like your photo. What is the cause of this?
                    I plan to recover the side panels on the old backing. Is it durable enough to do this?
                    Thanks.
                    As you surmise, the cause is water, moisture, humidity accumulated with soil.
                    Recovering your old warped panels is an exercise in futility.
                    You can buy new panel board in bulk from someplace like Restoration Specialties.

You can get new boards precut and punched from Loga Enterprises.

Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by 9echo View Post
                      Thanks.
                      Just an added note to what rockne10 said. Remember that these cars were made to sell. I doubt that many had the vision that more than a half-century later, folks would be collecting, preserving, and going nuts over these cars. After you take the door panels off, take the time to do a little work on the inside of the doors. If needed, renew the "cat whiskers" that not only protect the glass from breaking, but add a little filter to dirt settling into the cavity. The factory used a type of simi-waterproof duct tape material to seal the window cranks and access openings. Since the panels cover this area, any improvement in materials you can find to re-seal these areas from moisture should be acceptable. Finally, make certain to use some type of thin (like an old hack saw blade) to clean and clear the drain slits in the bottom of the doors. If these are not kept clear, water can fill up the lower door cavity, spill over and ruin your panels, carpet, and eventually rust out the bottom of the door.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You can buy panels from Ernie Loga already to put upholstery on.

Comment

Like it says above my panels were junk so I ordered new ones from Ernie Loga. They seem to fit great before upholstery. I am putting them together now and am very pleased with them. I ordered the cat whiskers and rubber from SI and have the window areas done. It is great to get rid of all the rattles.
                          The panel I had mocked up was the remains of the one that was with my car. It wasn't even the correct upholstery. The other one is in an original unrestored car that is the twin to mine except the manual transmission. Nice to have a pattern to look at.
                          Rob

Comment

Thank you all. I will check with the sources you suggest. I have one panel off and noticed that the inner side of the door skin has some surface rust on it. After cleaning the rust off is it recommended to apply a light covering of spray undercoating to the surface?
                            Thanks for the help. I am waiting for it to warm up a bit before I get back to work on the car.

Comment

You might want to spray a rust converter primer on first but whatever you do be sure you don't plug the drain holes in the bottom of the door. I have a TR3 I used the spray on undercoating on in 1978 and have been very pleased at how it helped. It certainly made the car a lot quieter to ride in. Quieter being relative. I wear earplugs when driving it very far.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X