PDA

View Full Version : Turning Wheels on Ebay HUGE

55 56 PREZ 4D
02-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Item #330682669770, 2 days left
35 yrs plus more, 1974 to 2009
Milan, Ill

Not mine, I'm in California, but someone has to pick these up.

rockne10
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
429 issues for $99.99 is a good deal; 24 cents a piece. Local pick-up only is obvious. It would cost more to ship them than the opening bid. No reserve in Milan, IL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330682669770?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_t rksid%3Dp3984.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D330682669770%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Dan, is that old Lompoc or new old Lompoc?;):rolleyes:

55 56 PREZ 4D
02-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Well-----
It's the "LOMPOK" made famous by W. C. Fields in a couple of movies.
That and the federal prison next door. It's been in a couple movies also.

Actually pronounced "Lom-poke" but nobody gets it right.
I'm heading back to PA in a couple weeks for a brothers birthday party, just west of Pittsburgh.
Outside of Coraopolis. Born and raised.
You're not to far from there. Cool.
Man, I just CANNOT handle cold anymore. Beautiful country but the winters. OW

John Brayton
02-09-2012, 11:14 PM
We'll be driving from PA to Petaluma, CA in May via I-80 if anyone needs these transported.

Regards,

studebaker of lompoc
02-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Dan, speaking of cold, its a chilly 46 degrees at 7 am here in Lompoc!!! I had to put on my sweater to go out and get my reading glasses out of the pickup. Thought I was going to perish, but I made it!

1952stude
02-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I gave the whole set to fellow SDC member last year.

BubbaBear
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I’m always curious about the backstory regarding things like this. He says ‘35 year SDC member who is no longer in the hobby” . I wonder what happened? Did he just lose interest and sell his car? Seems unlikely for someone with 35 years in the club. Retire? Seems someone with 35 years would keep up with old friendships. Going into a nursing home? I think I would still enjoy keeping up with club news. At least I think I would. It is of course his choice but it just seems odd someone could drop SDC and dispose of such a collection after 35 years.

studegary
02-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Note that his eBay "handle" is mauiblue52. No bids yet.

LStratton
02-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I sold a complete set of Turning Wheels from 1968-2001 on ebay in 2002 for $270 and the shipping for 7 boxes by media mail was $54, much higher now tho. I was also a member of SDC for 34 years and became totally disgusted after my storage unit was burglarized for about $20,000-25,000 worth of Studebaker parts and it definitely was done by a Studebaker person. I also had a terrible experience at the national in Rapid City, SD so it was time to end it. There are many reasons a person can loose interest. I don't see a problem with this person deciding to go a different direction. I have rekindled an interest in Studebakers but will never get back involved like I was.

Bob Andrews
02-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Mmm, I'd like to have that. I'd use it to fill out the few issues missing from the collection I bought from Skip Lackie and donate the rest to the guy that sells them at York for charity for $1/issue. For $100 it would be worth it to me; for the $100 plus the shipping, I'll have to find those missing issues elsewhere.

Odds are it won't get the opening bid; the price is fair, but the shipping kills it. Every so often a complete (or nearly so) set comes along for $100-$150.

jimmijim8
02-11-2012, 07:31 AM
What town west of PGH? I'm from Weirton West Virginia just 35 miles South West of Pittsburgh. Are you talking of the Beaver county area? Alliquippa perhaps, Baden, Rochester, Long time Stude guy {Chuck Baranosky} has a home and resto shop on Stoopes Ferry Road in Coraopolis. Right next to an auto Body supply store. You can't miss his place. Borders the road. Stop and You would like his facility. Tell him Jim Kranak sent you. Craig Piper {Westmoreland Studebaker} is East on rt. 22 a little over an hour from downtown Pittsburgh. A nice resto facility to visit. cheers jimmijimQUOTE=55 56 PREZ 4D;619522]Well-----
It's the "LOMPOK" made famous by W. C. Fields in a couple of movies.
That and the federal prison next door. It's been in a couple movies also.

Actually pronounced "Lom-poke" but nobody gets it right.
I'm heading back to PA in a couple You won't be sorry. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the York meet may be a perfect place to celebrate your brothers birthday. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< for a brothers birthday party, just west of Pittsburgh.
Outside of Coraopolis. Born and raised.
You're not to far from there. Cool.
Man, I just CANNOT handle cold anymore. Beautiful country but the winters. OW[/QUOTE]

Welcome
02-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Gave my whole set away for free
I gave the whole set to fellow SDC member last year.

Yes you did ...and what a wonderful deed that was on your part!!!

All those TURNING WHEELS ...and some more ...are currently under the care of the youngest Michiana Chapter Member awaiting transfer to the second youngest Michiana Chapter Member. Hopefully, he will keep all those TWs stored safely inside the last item Studebaker SASCO sold on the last day they occupied Plant # 8. How about it Chris D., when are you going to pick up all this SDC & Studebaker history???

1952stude
02-11-2012, 09:34 AM
I sure am glad you found a good home for all those books.Also my 63 avanti 62 pickup and 65commander all went.good homes .

55 56 PREZ 4D
02-11-2012, 08:42 PM
jimmijim8 :
Coraopolis was the nearest town to Carnot. I guess Carnot could have been called a village back in the day. We're just outside of Carnot.
Thanks for the shop info, I'll be sure to at least look up Chuck Baranoski, his place is just down the road.

lschuc
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM
l can see why someone might want to sell or give away a huge collection of their club magazines. I am thinking of making room in my basement and considering parting with a Turning Wheels collection that began in February 1979. I still belong to SDC too, and get the magazines, and have no plans to quit, and still keeping my three Studebakers. But these old magazines been taking up space for years in five banker's boxes and I have rarely, if ever gone back to look at any issue. So I can easily see someone else wanting to clear space in their home, but still stay in the club.
Probably needs to make room for another 30-40 years of club magazines!!

Dick Steinkamp
02-12-2012, 01:26 PM
l can see why someone might want to sell or give away a huge collection of their club magazines. I am thinking of making room in my basement and considering parting with a Turning Wheels collection that began in February 1979.

I'm the same. Recently I gave my collection (back to the 70's) to our local chapter. I've been hauling them around and storing them for too long and have hardly referenced them. It SOUNDS like a good idea to keep them, but in reality, they take up a lot of space, weigh a lot, and most are seldom re-used.

LarkTruck
02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
l can see why someone might want to sell or give away a huge collection of their club magazines. I am thinking of making room in my basement and considering parting with a Turning Wheels collection that began in February 1979. I still belong to SDC too, and get the magazines, and have no plans to quit, and still keeping my three Studebakers. But these old magazines been taking up space for years in five banker's boxes and I have rarely, if ever gone back to look at any issue. So I can easily see someone else wanting to clear space in their home, but still stay in the club.
Probably needs to make room for another 30-40 years of club magazines!!

With a collection currently on ebay, and Joe Z's also on the swap page, I guess this is not a good time to try to get rid of my own dating back to the mid 70's?????
I too could use the room, and have very rarely gone back to find something in an issue. I was thinking of taking them to York, but maybe not.
Jim

Roscomacaw
02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Besides my own fairly complete collection (which I have thought about passing on), I have several big boxes of TW issues - mostly 90s stuff - that could go. You know - Greyhound is a good option if you're fairly close to one of their stops.

(S)
02-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I could use the Portland national meet issue, Sac. national meet issue, Thanks

bob40
02-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I have them from the 70's on up.
They will be at the International meet.

studegary
02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I have all of the Turning Wheels, also Old Cars from 1971, most Motor Trend from 1949, Car & Driver, Automobile, AutoWeek, Road & Track, Hemmings, Cars & Parts, etc., etc., etc.

jimmijim8
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
There will always be more than enough TW collections than the market can bear, Cheap too. I've been a member since 78. I now have in my posession ' bout three. I give 'em away after reading them to people that are nuts about Studes NOT NECESSARILY AND INFREQUENTLY to Stude Nuts. cheers jimmijim

M15 Trucker
02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
A famous Forum member and long time Studebaker member lives in the town next to Milan, IL, were this collection of Turning Wheels is being sold. Can anyone name is famous person? And could that be were this collection came from? Enquiring minds want to know.

jimmijim8
02-16-2012, 07:57 AM
1234567890-09876543
A famous Forum member and long time Studebaker member lives in the town next to Milan, IL, were this collection of Turning Wheels is being sold. Can anyone name is famous person? And could that be were this collection came from? Enquiring minds want to know.

BobPalma
02-18-2012, 09:47 PM
You never know where Turning Wheels are gonna show up.

'Wife and I were today browsing in Half-Price Books in Avon IN, west of Indianapolis.

I always go to the Automotive section first, of course.

And right there on the shelf, offered for sale at 99 cents each, were a couple dozen copies of Turning Wheels from the 1997-2001 time period, more or less. Not sequential; a few must have been sold or otherwise never got there to begin with.

'Small world. BP

mbstude
02-18-2012, 09:54 PM
You never know where Turning Wheels are gonna show up.

'Wife and I were today browsing in Half-Price Books in Avon IN, west of Indianapolis.

I always go to the Automotive section first, of course.

And right there on the shelf, offered for sale at 99 cents each, were a couple dozen copies of Turning Wheels from the 1997-2001 time period, more or less. Not sequential; a few must have been sold or otherwise never got there to begin with.

'Small world. BP

Did you autograph them?

BobPalma
02-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Did you autograph them?

Nope, Matthew. 'Not sure they would have appreciated that.

('Prolly should have offered them a couple bucks for the whole lot and they might have taken it!) <GGG> BP