55 Voltage change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 55 Voltage change?

I'm looking at a '55 President coupe. The seller indicates that during the '55 model year the voltage was transitioned from 6 to 12. Does anyone know if this is true? None of the specs I've seen reflect this. I have no problem with a 12 volt conversion, if it is done well, but this mid/late-year change sounds strange.

That would just be someone's guess, and it is wrong. The first 12 Volt Studes. were 1956's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What StudeRich said. 'Lots of changes mid-year 1955, but voltage wasn't one of them. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To: Sbaughman,------ Studebaker engineers probably wished they had at least made the '55 President series 12V. When they upped the cubic inches to 259, the cars became a headache to restart after a thorough warmup. The problem
        became worse as the cars aged, and if upkeep wasn't 100%. This is one reason several of the surviving '55's have been converted to 12V. Easy to accomplish simply by swapping in the later Hawk parts.

Comment

Working...
        X