PDA

View Full Version : Make: UNKN

BubbaBear
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Got a parking ticket yesterday in the í53. How insulting that the make was marked unknown. Whatís the world coming to when someone canít recognize a Studebaker?

coyote
02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
You should fight the ticket. Tell them you do not own an UNKN.

63 R2 Hawk
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
^^^^I agree.....

Pat Dilling
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Clearly, had the officer know it was a Studebaker you would not have gotten the ticket. I believe we are entitled to unlimited free parking, right? Because we are a national historic treasure of course.

BubbaBear
02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
I thought of contesting it just for fun but they got the plate number correct and it would just be a waste of time. It is just the striking contrast between those of who pride ourselves in being able to recognize different makes of cars compared to many people today who can't tell one from another. I would have been embarrassed to have written unknown. This ticket writer probably didn't care at all. And it would have been easy to walk around the car to get the name. Just a generational difference I guess.

Deaf Mute
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Before Iowa changed computers in the titling the abbreviation was STU. When they went online with the new system, we all discovered that we owned STEWARTS. Talk about a pain to get that changed. now until we argue, they still come out as being a STUDABAKER. I argued that and then it came out STUDEBACKER on my '53.
Sone weeks ya just can't win!

Studebakercenteroforegon
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Years ago, a friend of mine, who had a '63 Studebaker station wagon, got a parking ticket. The person who wrote the ticket must have mis-read the script on the tailgate, and wrote "Wagoneer" as to the type of vehicle. My friend protested the ticket, saying he owned a Studebaker, not a Jeep, so there must be some mistake. Sure enough, the ticket was dismissed!

Chris Pile
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
If you want to, just go to court and consider it a teaching moment.
Or maybe the judge will have a soft spot for Studebakers.... (one can hope)

BubbaBear
02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
It wasn't overtime parking. It was for parking on the wrong side of the street on street sweeping day. But it would be nice if the city would install a hydraulic pedestal in front of our house so the street sweeper could do their duty and our Studebaker could remain on display. But we will show them. It will soon be back in the garage and they will be deprived of it's beauty.

Gunslinger
02-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Here in the People's Republic of Maryland, the MVA uses a four letter abbreviation for car makes...the abbreviation on registration cards for Studebaker is "STUD". Make of it what you will! ;)

ddub
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Just checked my registration. Here in Washington it comes out "Stude." I'll take that.

jclary
02-09-2012, 12:54 PM
How about that...a Studebaker driver with the attitude of a Cadillac owner. Many years ago, I aspired to own a Cadillac, but by the time I had earned an income that would allow me to...I no longer wanted to be associated with the impression I had of typical Cadillac drivers. Not only do they seem to feel privileged to park anywhere they want, many don't want you sharing the same road or breathing the same air.

(Disclaimer...the above is a "generalization." I realize that generalizations are unfair. No real intent was made to harm or offend good Cadillac drivers. However, if you were offended...take heart...I am sure there will be a waitress, car wash attendant, or other service provider you can short tip and look down on very soon.)

Oh, one more thing, having a name like "Bubbabear" exempts you from everything stated above!:):p:)

BubbaBear
02-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh, one more thing, having a name like "Bubbabear" exempts you from everything stated above!

Well I did grow up about 102 miles Southeast of you.

Corvanti
02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Here in the People's Republic of Maryland, the MVA uses a four letter abbreviation for car makes...the abbreviation on registration cards for Studebaker is "STUD". Make of it what you will! ;)

same here in NC: "STUD" - works for me! :p

here in wilmington, nc, in the downtown area, a private contractor issues the parking citations. pay at city hall, not the courthouse. if you don't pay the $10 fine within 30 days, there's a $50 penalty. if you still don't pay, the vehicle's license plate is tagged by the state dmv, and can't get a yearly renewal until you pay what is owed...

sweetolbob
02-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Got a parking ticket yesterday in the í53. How insulting that the make was marked unknown. Whatís the world coming to when someone canít recognize a Studebaker?

I think he knew exactly what he was doing and a club member. He was reminding your that they are made to be driven not parked.;):)

Bob

Skip Lackie
02-09-2012, 03:55 PM
When DC upgraded their DMV computer system several years ago, all my Studebaker registrations went from STUD to UNKN. Don't think there're more than a total of 6 or 8 Studes registered in DC, and I suspect some programmer just decided it wasn't worth the trouble to create a separate category for Studebakers.

PlainBrownR2
02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Look on the brightside, you own an unknown designed, four wheeled alien spacecraft now! That's how I see my Lark and my '55! :cool:

As an aside, I tried turning my two stops into "teachable moments". One was for a warning for a stock Studebaker bumper hitch that was blocking my rear plate(even though he passed in front of me when I was sitting in the left turn lane), and another for doing an incomprehensible 70 in a 45(I was doing 45 when I passed him), on a curve and a road I knew very well, and in a car that does not take sharp corners very well :(. They were a little older than me, and in both instances, they didn't know, didn't care to exercise any kind of judgement, nor did they care much for what they pulled over, so the only "teachable moment", would be if they reviewed the dashcam at the police station :mad:. They did manage to ID it as a Studebaker Commander by my registration though :p.

Pat Dilling
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
In California it is STU which is fine since it matches my license plate. Besides they can't seem to get my VIN number right so I am not even going to try with with Manufacturer.