T-10 w/overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-10 w/overdrive

Looking for an adapter to put an R-11 BW o.d. behind a T-10 4-speed. Has any one done this? Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by studezilla

Looking for an adapter to put an R-11 BW o.d. behind a T-10 4-speed. Has any one done this? Thanks.
    I've seen a GM Saginaw 4 speed with the Saginaw 3 speed OD unit attached, but not a Borg Warner T10. It would be pretty neat if it could be done.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Rich, The adapter you are talking about was made by Tom Beatty. He sold them to Lional Stone. Stone sold the molds to someone in Idaho. I have built a number of them. I have one left but Jack Vines had asked me about it and was supposed to come down and see me but has not done so yet.If he does not want it I would sell it for $500 complete with Hurst Competition + shifter and yoke. Ready to bolt in and run. 2.54 low gear.

Comment

I build adapters at work on one of out vertical cnc mills. I have done 2 tremec 5-speeds and one viper 6 speed. If you send me the specs on the trans I could look at it. ie. bolt pattern, input shaft length, and pilot bearing collar.

Dan
        Dan Giblin
        Cincinnati, OH

Comment

Gear Vendors now offers an OD for the T10...

GM Manual Transmissions Muncie M21/M22 (Also M20 and BW T-10) Gear Vendors owes a lot to the Muncie close ratio trans. These words are very similar for the M20 and T10 but with some slight ratio differences depending on model.All M21/22 have the same 22% upshift and 28% downshift spread as the Gear Vendors. Overdrive … Continue reading GM 4-Speed Manual →

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

2,600.00 for the gearvendors unit ?
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Kdancy, 2,600.00 sounds about right for the Gear Vendors. They were selling for 2,295 five or six years ago when I purchased mine. If you have a business you might get a ten percent discount.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I think I'd go to a 5 speed rather then spend $2600.00

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                63 GT R2
                63 Lark 2 door
                62 Gt Hawk
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                59 3E truck
                58 Starlight
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Yeah but, with a gear vendors you get 8 speeds!! [^][^]

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I think I'd go to a 5 speed rather then spend $2600.00
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi, StudeRich,

There aren't reall eight useable gears with the Gear Vendors unit. Problem is, with the 2.54 low-gear T-10 and the Gear Vendors OD, I ran the math and the first and second gears in OD are essentially the same as the next higher straight gear. The OD fourth is nice, as is the electrical kick-down to direct for passing.

The old Borg-Warner three-speeds used in Studebakers had wide enough spacing between gears, and a 30% overdrive, second-overdrive was lower than third direct, so depending on how much the speed had dropped in third overdrive, there was the choice of electrical kickdown to third or shifting down to second overdrive for more RPM and acceleration. With the T10, the third overdrive is only 17% lower than fourth direct. This close spacing would be useful in a heavily loaded truck, but not really meaningful in a light, powerful car. Using the .78 Gear Vendors overdrive ratio:

T10 - in overdrive
                    2.54 - 1.98
                    1.89 - 1.47
                    1.51 - 1.17
                    1.00 - .78

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X