Jeep fc-170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep fc-170

I have the chance to pick up a jeep Forward control "170" and was wondering what I might learn about them here.
    This thing looks really cool but it has a Ford gas engine that I don't think is factory.
    It needs a lot of work compared to the stude I have and wonder if it would be worth it in the end.
    Its got the odd factor goin for it thats for sure.

Dean.

Oh, that's a neat truck! Amazing visibility from the cab, fantastic turn radius. Brooks Stevens designed it! Factory engine would have been the Willys F-134 Hurricane with a whopping 75 horses

Not many of these still around; they made 'em between '55 and '64. What's the chassis configuration? Pickup, stake, closed? 2WD or 4WD? If it's a 4-wheeler, it's definitely worth picking up.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Here is the 1/2 ton version

Comment

Speaking as one who has spun the babbitts in a Go-Devil, IMO the factory engine was not up to sustained highway speeds. I'll go to hell for this, but a GM V-6 would be period-appropriate. Jeep used to own that. Just like it looks, it can get a little tippy under braking if there's no load in the back.

Yes, it is a classic, and you will the envy of Jeepsters everywhere. A Ferguson-style hitch was available -- yes, you can plow with it, both ways, both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
          I have the chance to pick up a jeep Forward control "170" and was wondering what I might learn about them here.
          This thing looks really cool but it has a Ford gas engine that I don't think is factory.
          It needs a lot of work compared to the stude I have and wonder if it would be worth it in the end.
          Its got the odd factor goin for it thats for sure.

Dean.
          Back in '68 when I was in a forward area in Viet Nam we received a LST full of vehicles to unload and distribute. The lower deck was full of Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs), but the main deck was loaded with 4WD forward control Jeeps. They were painted Army or Marine colors (don't remember which) and they were powered by diesel engines. I remember that because many of them wouldn't start which made it really sporty to get them from the main deck down a ramp to the tank deck for unloading.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Willys America
            Willys America ~ Willys America Jeep Restorations, Sales, Jeep Parts ~ Home Page

and/or
            Kaiser Willys
            Kaiser Willys is the leading source of Jeep Parts for Willys Jeep Restoration with a full online catalog and Fast Free Shipping over $98.

should have a bunch of parts and can help you tap into other sources
            There is the Jeepsterman in NJ but last I knew no website and no credit cards and he could be cantankerous...I can't really stay home from work all day waiting for a COD delivery from the dark ages!

Those FC trucks are wicked cool in my opinion, I used to plow snow with one when I was in junior high and no one cared that i had no license they just wanted the snow gone
            1947 M5 under restoration
            a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Is a '170' a one-ton rated truck? Regardless, a cool looking vehicle which I never see at car shows.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback, This one is a Four wheel drive unit it has a low sided truck bed that looks to be roughly 4'x8'.
                The door perimiters are all rusting thru but the floors and cab corners look ok. Flat glass is easy but the dash it has is wood ? Is that factory ?
                It's all rotted out plus there are a few critters living in there, It currently does not run but has a ford V8 and the radiator mounted on the front of the cab so right now it is as a minimum a little hoakie.
                It struck an interest with me being a coe, being a 1 ton is a plus and I remember seeing heavy duty looking leaf springs.
                Would be nice with a little modern turbo deisel and new disc brakes, Wait till I hit up Jim Turner on that one. "HaHa"

Thanks in advance for any further feedback,

Dean.

Comment

grab it, they ain't makin'em any more
                  keep us posted...
                  1947 M5 under restoration
                  a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Love it Dean. I have thought about doing a FC someday. I watched one in an off road competition that was not that modified and it did really well, Very cool rig.
                    Make a cool welding rig....hmmm seems like somebody wanted a vintage COE welding rig....

This is of course NOT in lieu of the Bullet right?

Comment

No its not in lieu of anything just bad timing because my car isn't done, er well at least running drivable and taking up one garage not allmost three.
                      I really want it but theres a lot of things I really want.
                      Just ask my wife.

Dean.

Comment

I really want it but theres a lot of things I really want.
                        Just ask my wife.

Dean.
                        Dean, what is your wife's phone number?
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

867-5389..........................

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          Dean, what is your wife's phone number?
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My folks were from Omaha and the husband of a friend of my mom had a Jeep like this. I remember him showing my how the winch on the front worked. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I loved riding in it around their property, off the roads of course.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Here's what you can do with it:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X