No announcement yet.

rear leaf for 62 gt hawk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: rear leaf for 62 gt hawk.

Is there a supplier for an extra leaf spring I can purchase. Someone suggested to cut the eyes off a hawk spring and add it to the spring set. Is there a spring other than a hawk spring that I could use?
    where should car height be measured from ? what should it be 62 gt hawk.
    Last edited by K-Hawk; 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM.

Are you trying to overcome a sagging rear axle, increase carrying capacity or just add a little "rake"? You can get a little rear lift with gas filled shocks, air shocks or springs that can be clamped onto shocks (I think they still sell those). Any good spring shop should be able to make a leaf, or entire spring set or you, I had them made for my '32 Studebaker. There are also three options for locating the front spring eye on the frame. Most stock GT Hawks appear to sit pretty low in the rear. I have KYB gas filled shocks, along with HD springs on mine which helps make it sit fairly high in the rear. Not sure where you would find a spec on height or how/where to measure.

Comment

I recently installed a set of new rear springs from Eaton. Initially, I was disappointed that the ride height changed less only about 1/4" at the axle. I had (incorrectly) assumed the original rears were sagging. While the height remained roughly the same, the ride and handling improved dramatically.

I thought it was too low in the rear until I referenced this factory photo:

FWIW, I'd prefer the front to drop an inch or two rather than raise the rear.
      Last edited by Andy R.; 02-10-2012, 11:03 AM. Reason: somehow the photo got replaced by crappy MSD ignition image
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Dunbar spring downtown PHX is who I use. If your trying to go on the cheap I might have a pair of hawk springs in a junk car I can remove $150 for the pair.

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
        Is there a supplier for an extra leaf spring I can purchase. Someone suggested to cut the eyes off a hawk spring and add it to the spring set. Is there a spring other than a hawk spring that I could use?
        where should car height be measured from ? what should it be 62 gt hawk.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

If you want to mess with it the leafs from a ford explorer are the same width and the first leaf without eyes is a good fit for length to add under your 1st leaf. Made my lark much firmer in the rear without raising it too much

Comment

Rusty what I really need is a local place to get my gas tank cleaned. That and someone else looking for hawk springs is what started me on the spring quest. I figured while the tank is out. I too have used Dunbar and they are reasonable. I was quoted 65.00 per spring for a re-arch and 165.00 per for re-arch and a leaf added. I want to get my tank done first,can you recommend some one here in town? I have ordered some shocks, Monroes and bushings from Bob helms
            Thanks

Comment

To: rickhmm2,-------- That's good information--Thanks! (Any year explorer?)

Comment

explorer springs

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                To: rickhmm2,-------- That's good information--Thanks! (Any year explorer?)
                as far as I know they were all the same. Mines a 95. I used the rear axle too with Ford's version of posi traction and discs. It fits very ni

Comment

Sorry K-Hawk I just saw this message. I'm located in Chandler, I've used Chandler Radiator for both radiators and gas tank cleaning/resealing. They're an old school radiator shop. If it too far for you to go try any radiator shop thats been in business for a long while they should be able to accommodate you on the gas tank.

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
                  Rusty what I really need is a local place to get my gas tank cleaned. That and someone else looking for hawk springs is what started me on the spring quest. I figured while the tank is out. I too have used Dunbar and they are reasonable. I was quoted 65.00 per spring for a re-arch and 165.00 per for re-arch and a leaf added. I want to get my tank done first,can you recommend some one here in town? I have ordered some shocks, Monroes and bushings from Bob helms
                  Thanks

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
                  X