This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 289 Avanti Engine

I have a "new" 289 still in the crate...actually it has metal straps around cardboard. I bought it from a fellow named Lawrence Burke from Anoka Mn. He said it was an Avanti engine. I think he was a parts manager or part owner of a dealership in Anoka. I have 2 Avantis, so I purchased it. I was young and expecting to blow an engine. Well, I like them so much that that I babied the cars. So now I have an extra engine. The numbers on it are 155-4641 and 10-1-R. Can anyone confirm that this is the right part number for a 289?
    Thanks,
    Peter J

I have a parts book that lists many engine part numbers, and this book was from a dealership. Even back in the mid 1960's several engine block part numbers were superceded, The 'new' part numbers were penciled in. I checked the standard engine section, and JT/JTS section for Larks and Hawks.

Your engine number is not listed, but that does not mean much considering how they changed these numbers.

A better description of it would help. Is it a block and piston assy, does it have a crank, etc. Studebaker sold them many ways.

Your number 10, 1 may be for the 10:1 compression like an R1 had. ?

Comment

Thanks....It has pistons, no crankshaft, but it does have the crankshaft bearings in it. When new it was sprayed with a waxy grease. So other than being dusty and in need of a cleaning, it seems to be in good shape. Typical of a short block?

Comment

Typical of a short block?
        A short block has crankshaft, rods, pistons, cam and lifters. A long block has all that plus complete heads, rockers and pushrods. Studebaker also sold a block with fitted pistons, which sounds like what you have.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Studebaker not only sold block and pistons, short blocks, and long blocks, they also sold COMPLETE engines from flywheel to fan belts, oil pan to air cleaner. I have been to a members house and oogled over an R-1 complete still in a factory crate sitting in his sun room, even still has the "Studebaker" labeled fan belts on it. It is amazing and all there untouched since 1964.

That member can share more if he wants to, but man was I impressed.
          Sorry if that is off topic, thought it was related though.

Comment

The waxy grease is Cosmoline. When Studebaker shipped bare engine parts such as this, they usually coated it with Cosmoline to prevent rust, and it looks like its working pretty well .
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Jack, Thanks. I'm not much of a mechanic. I think I should go out to my 2 Avantis and check the numbers on those engines and see if they are close. A little cold to go out to the storage garage, though, here in chilly Minn.

Comment

If it's a genuine "R" engine, the pistons should be flat top...not dished. If they're not flat top it may be a 289 but not an "R" engine.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

You have a 1554641 CASTING number, those mean very little except the basic configuration of all the blocks made from that mold, in this case, it is a late '62 to '64 full-flow block. The Serial number is on the TOP surface, Left front corner on a machined flat pad if it has a number. That is where you look on your car, not on the right side.

A new block and piston assy. should have a blank serial # area or just have a keystone for the inspector's number or a cloverleaf stamp maybe.
                  Also it should not have any Main Bearings, just Cam Bearings if it has not been messed with or used.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Peter,
                    I dont know if we've ever bumped into one another yet but I've been to various car shows in the area with my '63 Hawk. Have you had either of your Avantis at Studebaker shows in Duluth or Hugo?
                    As for your engine block, are you looking to sell it?
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      You have a 1554641 CASTING number, those mean very little except the basic configuration of all the blocks made from that mold, in this case, it is a late '62 to '64 full-flow block. The Serial number is on the TOP surface, Left front corner on a machined flat pad if it has a number. That is where you look on your car, not on the right side.

A new block and piston assy. should have a blank serial # area or just have a keystone for the inspector's number or a cloverleaf stamp maybe.
                      Also it should not have any Main Bearings, just Cam Bearings if it has not been messed with or used.
                      StudeRich, The 289 has no other numbers on it other than a yellow "stamped" paint number of 1557835 in a couple places. This is brand new block. The pistons are flat on top (and I wouldn't know cam from crank bearings.) Thank you for the directions.

Comment

As you can see, I live in Brainerd. No, I haven't gone to shows. Sell it? I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Johnson View Post
                          As you can see, I live in Brainerd. No, I haven't gone to shows. Sell it? I suppose.
                          Sounds to be another small Studebaker mystery. How much do you have in mind for it? Bo
                          Bo

Comment

Can anyone confirm that this is the right part number for a 289? Thanks,Peter J
                            StudeRich, The 289 has no other numbers on it other than a yellow "stamped" paint number of 1557835 in a couple places. This is brand new block. The pistons are flat on top (and I wouldn't know cam from crank bearings.) Thank you for the directions.
                            Yes it is correct for your Avanti, it's a 289 R1 & R2 Block and Pistons Assy.

The only internal lower end parts you should need from your old Engine would be a good Crankshaft, Camshaft, Connecting Rods, Timing Gears and Oil Pump to build a new engine.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Yes it is correct for your Avanti, it's a 289 R1 & R2 Block and Pistons Assy.

The only internal lower end parts you should need from your old Engine would be a good Crankshaft, Camshaft, Connecting Rods, Timing Gears and Oil Pump to build a new engine.
                              I don't see here whether Peter J has R1 or R2 engines in his Avantis, or one of each. The crate engine sounds like it is an R1 engine, but that it would need dished pistons instead of the flat top pistons to make it into an R2 builder. Other than that, no change to StudeRich's list, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X