Tire Size for 51 Champion Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size for 51 Champion Question

Good evening, all. A friend is offering me some 225/75/15 tires, brand new. Will these fit a 51
    Champion with stock wheels? I've been doing a lot of mechanicals, and was just getting
    ready to look at tires. I think they might be too wide.

Regards,
    Clarence

They will physically mount on those wheels but would not be recommended for the car, Clarence. Too wide and too much stress on the wheels. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thought so, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks, Bob.

Regards,
      Clarence

Comment

So you are saying the tires would fit the wheelwells, you would just have to get aftermarket rims because the originals can not handle the stress, yes? I was probably going to be looking at 225 width tires for my 50 commander when the time comes...
        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
        Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission
        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I had a 51 Champion that I think had 215's on it when I aquired it. The tires rubbed on the grease nipples on the 'A-arms' when the steering wheel was cranked tight, wearing grooves in the inner sidewalls. I found some lightly-used 195's and they cleared nicely.

Jim
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

good to know -- I found some vintage looking aluminum rims I like, just need to get the backspacing right and hopefully they will work...
            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
            X