Spring for Parking Brake Lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Spring for Parking Brake Lever

My parking brake handle will not lock when pulled out. I ordered the spring for it, but am at a loss as to how it mounts on the parking brake lever. Anyone replaced one of these that give help out. Thanks

What car are we talking about?
    The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

if you've got a pull handle like most cars, less 64-66.....you really need to look at a vehicle that has one installed..or a pic. Essentially, that spring presses a small, but stout steel clip that locks into the teeth of the draw handle...anyone got a pic ? This spring is about the size of a nickel/quarter diameter right ...?

Comment

The handle has to be removed first. Pull out the lower guide pin, and turn the handle half way around (completely upside down) . You may need to jack the car up for the next part. Pull the handle, and wire the lever arm underneath in the drawn position ( you need some slack in the front cable). Then inside the car again, you can unhook the ball end of the cable from the handle. Then withdraw the handle from the guide.
        The spring is a hairpin type spring.(or like a saftey pin without the clasp) The pawl is "H" shaped and has one side cut deeper than the other. The spring eye wraps around the upper leg of the deep cut side of the pawl. The short arm of the spring faces the inside ans rests against the lower leg of the long cut out. The long leg of the spring pushes against the handle guide. You will notice one side of the guide is open so you can slide the pawl into place as you hold the spring. There is a tapir to the pawl, and it faces towards the firewall. The flat side will be toward the driver. Once the pawl is in place then you hold it closed and insert the handle down the guide. Install the ball end of the cable into the end, turn the handle over, and then insert the guide pin. Unhook the wire underneath the car.
        Last edited by bezhawk; 02-11-2012, 09:34 AM.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

61 Lark Wagon

Comment

Yes, the spring has a wound circle in it. It is a 61 Lark Wagon. I have looked for an exploded view of the assembly, but have been unable to locate one. Thanks

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
              X