51 Starlight Coupe back windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 51 Starlight Coupe back windows

I installed the passenger side rear windows, both the side and center.
    Using new rubber from SI.
    The center one was a little tight fit but finally it went in.

Then I tried to trial fit the driver side center, that one seems to be a whole half of an inch wider than the opening.
    I expect to be wider but not that much.

What am I up against?
    Anyone had this problem, if so how was it resolved?

Thanks

Paul

You might check to see if the center post rubber is really in the center of the car. It's possible that the rubber is too thick (or it's too difficult to seat the glass all the way in and, by starting on the passenger side and going around, each window is displaced a tiny bit towards the driver side. It's like dimension creep.

I have heard of folks having troubles with new starlight rear rubber, but it was being installed by a body shop that had never done a Studebaker before, so who knows what the actual problem was?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Paul,
      Please contact me concerning the installation of rubber and glass in your '51 Starlight Coupe. Contact me direct at 56cvytrk@bellsouth.net. Do not send a personal message on this forum.

Thanx,
      Charlie

Comment

I had the same problem. I worked it in and it fit the way it should. It just didn't look like it would to start with.
        Rob

Comment

Rob
          How big of an overlap did you have?
          Can you describe how you proceeded?
          You can send an email to me through the forum if you prefer that
          or pszikszai@aol.com.

Thanks

Paul

Comment

After I did the passenger side I did the drivers center. I started it at the lower forward corner and worked the string around it slowly in both directions while pushing it out into the opening. As it went out I made sure to keep it bottomed against the rubber. As I got closer it still was very tight but lots of soap and slapping the glass with the heal of my hand I was able to work it in. When I started the glass was wider than the rubber in the window frame. By doing the drivers center window before the side piece I was able to reach through the opening for better access. I worked both inside the car and out keeping the rubber rolling around the glass and seated against the lip of the opening.
            I had put these windows in using the old rubber and it seemed easier, but the old stuff was torn so I replaced it. The new stuff was tight but it does go in. I also use the rubber hammer, as instructed by the manual, to seat it but did not want to break anything and was somewhat chicken with it. I then proceeded on to the side piece which was also tight but it was somewhat easier.

Comment

Rob

Thanks for letting me know that it can be done.
              I am done with it.
              Don't wish to do it ever again.

Paul

Comment

So... what was the solution?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

It is a real PITA but it is a lot easier than the stainless moulding around the windshield. I hope you don't have to do that.
                  I think the problem is you are working from the inside of the circle where the radius is smaller. As it gets closer to being in position the circle is larger and it does fit.
                  Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X